Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI of 10 last night. Worst night of sleep since I got the CPAP
AHI of 10 last night. Worst night of sleep since I got the CPAP
It seemed that one nostril was congested and felt like I was suffocating with the nasal pillow mask. Not sure what to do for that in the future. Wondering if I should take a look at other types of masks. I really want to avoid the big bulky masks. Any suggestions
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI of 10 last night. Worst night of sleep since I got the CPAP
Just downloaded my data from last night. Peaked at a 25 AHI from 2 to 3:30. No wonder I'm back in zombie land today. Mostly a mix of obstructives and clear airway apneas. Some of the CAs last about a full minute. What's the norm on those?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 07:04 AM)Laser Wrote: It seemed that one nostril was congested and felt like I was suffocating with the nasal pillow mask. Not sure what to do for that in the future. Wondering if I should take a look at other types of masks. I really want to avoid the big bulky masks.

When that happens to me I check the water level in the humidifier and, sure enough, I forgot to check it before going to bed and it ran dry during the night. I don't need much humidity (I do fine on a setting of 1.5), but apparently I need a little bit.

Everyone's nose has a different sensitivity to humidity, and everyone's climate is different as well, so you have to find your own best setting. And your congested nose may have been due to other things as well. I'm just suggesting that you consider the humidity setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Laser,
You could try the new nasal mask from Respironics called the Wisp, it's a minimalist frame, (not bulky,) I really like mine but everyone is different what I like, you might not, it's sure a trial and error thing. As far as the mask you are using now, you might turn your humidity up a notch and see if that helps you as far as your stuffy nose goes.

Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 12:08 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Laser,
You could try the new nasal mask from Respironics called the Wisp, it's a minimalist frame, (not bulky,) I really like mine but everyone is different what I like, you might not, it's sure a trial and error. thing. As far as the mask you are using now, you might turn your humidity up a notch and see if that helps you as far as your stuffy nose goes.

Good luck to you.

As Trish already said, you might get some relief from a Nasal Mask. I happen to also be a fan of the Wisp mask. However, there may be other masks that may work better for you. Sleep-well

If you only had ONE night with high AHI readings, I wouldn't get too worried. If it continues however, you may want to explore different mask options.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2013, 12:08 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: You could try the new nasal mask from Respironics called the Wisp, it's a minimalist frame, (not bulky,)

If you get the Wisp I strongly recommend the new silicone headgear. I've broken three of the regular (original) headgears so far. I hear the silicone headgear does not move around so much either. I haven't got my replacement silicone headgear because my DME still hasn't received it from Respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know. I slept a little better with it last night but I can tell that I can't switch to sleeping on my side becuase I'm afraid of dislodging the nasal pillows. I just hated the nasal masks that my sleep clinic had, they were just too big and bulky. Maybe this wisp thing is worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
As CBramsey mentioned,,I wouldn't worry too much about a high AHI this early on in your therapy unless it is nightly consistent. I see that you are using a Swift but you didn't mention which model.?? I used the Swift II for awhile when I first started with a pillows and didn;t have good luck with it at all.. I now use a Swift LT which allows the hose to come down over the top and instead of hooking into the side (which makes it unstable for me) it hooks in the middle. The LT allows me to sleep on side or stomach with much leading. Good Luck
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
As like JudgeMental I have recently switched to the Swift LT. I always used the bulky Nasal Mask before. Too uncomfortable.
I found a big difference comfort wise. I also have problems with my right sinus passages plugging up. I out a few drops of Eucalyptus oil on a piece of cloth and position it under the air intake and after a few minutes it starts to unplug my nose.
I also have to use a chin restraint every so often for a few nights to trin my mouth to keep shut while sleeping. The wife says I should wear it 24-7.
Hang in there you`ll get used to it and find the proper adjustments to suit you.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
When I got my Wisp, I chose the silicon frame because it doesn't move out of place as easily. of course, YMMV.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 122 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,334 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 258 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Middle of the night wakeup SteveC 1 118 04-10-2024, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 123 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 225 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.