Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI of 2 -- Good Enough?
AHI of 2 -- Good Enough?
All -

First, no sleepyhead data charts because I have a Z1 Auto and a Mac.

My sleep test found an AHI of 16.6, with the majority (vast) of events while sleeping on my left side, which is my most common sleeping position.  My initial prescription suggested a pressure range of 5 - 20.  Within 2 nights I knew that would not work -- I was gulping in air, my stomach was distended, and I had trouble exhaling (having been a smoker for many years, I probably have undiagnosed early stage COPD).  

So, I reset 5 - 10.  Overnight, the pressure generally hovered around 6, but it would on occasion spike up.  But, I could only sleep on my left side, and would wake up if I turned onto my back or right side.    Still, I had consistent AHI under 5 and was even able to achieve an AHI of 0 on many nights.  

For the past week, because I'm tired of being stuck sleeping on my left side and waking up, I set the pressure at 3 - 6.  My average pressure has been 5.2, but I do hit the 6 frequently and stay there.  But, I've also had a consistent AHI of 2.  

My question is ... is there any reason I should still be grasping for that golden ring of 0 AHI, or should I be happy sleeping through the night with an AHI of 2?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI of 2 -- Good Enough?
Probably much ado about squat in favour of getting that often-elusive 'rested' feeling.  That is to say, the science says anything under 5 is pretty darned solid, your AHI of generally 2 is rather excellent.  The point, according to the experts here, is...………………………..how do you feel when you awaken and then go about your daily business?  If it's good, then you are doing well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. Anything less than 5 is the "golden" goal. But the overall question is how do you feel?

Why are you waking up when you roll onto your back or other side? Is it related to the CPAP or something else?

When making pressure changes, do it slowly. Especially since you have no data to back up your theories.

And, because I know others will suggest it, consider getting another (better?) machine that is data capable. Especially if you are doing this on your own. You can find them on Craigslist (just get from non-smoker due to damage inside the machine) or from Supplier #2 in our Supplier's List.

As a side note, with my pressure at 15-20, your pressure max of 6 is making me feel suffocated!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you.

First, yes, I know I should get a more robust machine.  I guess I'm somewhat paralyzed by indecision - I travel frequently so starting with the Z1 made the most sense, as it was both affordable (I'm paying out of pocket) and portable.  Now that I know that (a) I've been able to adapt to sleeping with a mask fairly easily and (b) it is working for me (yes, I'm feeling 110% more restful in the morning), I'm looking at options -- mostly I'm looking at the Dreamstation, but somewhere in the back of my head I fear I may really need a bi-level, which is way out of my price range.

As for why I wake up in other sleeping positions, it is because I can't seem to take in enough air when I'm on my back or right side.  I wake up with chipmunk cheeks and a full stomach of air due to aerophagia -- something that doesn't happen when I'm on my left side.  Go figure!  (This reduced ability to take in air is probably why I've always slept primarily on my left side, even before CPAP therapy).
Post Reply Post Reply
Raise the head of your bed. It will help with the air in the belly thing. You can stick a few planks under there or get thingies that are specifically made for raising beds. You can also put something between the frame and the mattress. They make things for that, too. Another option is to get two pillows and put them like a capital T then lay on the vertical part. The horizontal pillow will raise your head. It will take some fiddling.

The difference between bilevel machines and CPAP/APAP is it allows for greater exhale relief (the other PAPs only allow up to 3cmH2O between inhale and exhale) and it can go higher than 20. Does the Z1 have exhale relief? If so, fiddle with that, too, to see if it helps.

Obstructive events increase when on our backs because of gravity. Raising the head of the bed will help fight gravity.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion on the bed -- in fact, I have a fancy shmancy bed that adjusts but have always put the bed back to flat when sleeping (as opposed to sitting up to read).  So, I will give that a try.

The Z1 does have pressure relief but, as you note, the highest setting is 3 (which is what I'm on).
Post Reply Post Reply
If you ever want to upgrade, Supplier #2 has Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto machines ("gently used") at $799. In terms of treating UARS, which I think is your problem, a bilevel can't be beat, and this one is affordable. I'll leave you with a link to a good wiki article on Apnea board that explains my rationale. This machine can provide full data and meet every possible need you have.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP

If we had some data, we could dial you into the lowest possible pressure and resolve the remaining issues you feel. I think with the Aircurve 10 Vauto as your primary home machine, you will feel exceptional results and might decide the travel machine may not be worth giving up the comfort, effectiveness and quietness of this one.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2018, 04:15 PM)ShoshTrvls Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion on the bed -- in fact, I have a fancy shmancy bed that adjusts but have always put the bed back to flat when sleeping (as opposed to sitting up to read).  So, I will give that a try.

The Z1 does have pressure relief but, as you note, the highest setting is 3 (which is what I'm on).

Don't go up too high. What determines "too high" is for you. You want to sleep, but you don't want your mouth to fall open.

Try reducing the pressure relief, then. Try 2.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Again, thanks for the wisdom.

I went ahead and purchased a "gently used" Dreamstation Auto CPAP (the Vauto looked too daunting!) from Supplier #2.  I'll give it a whirl, start using sleepyhead (there is a Mac version, yes?), and be back at ya if I have any further issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would have rather seen you get the Resmed S9 Autoset gently used instead because of the way it handles exhale pressure relief. If you can still swap, do it. The Respironics will give you good APAP therapy and full data, It is much less responsive to flow limitation and the Flex pressure relief is a bit tricky to dial in for many people.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 66 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Is my 95% pressure stat good or...? Hone 7 213 04-20-2024, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 113 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 215 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 157 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 794 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 389 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.