Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI question
AHI question
Since having the S9 cpap machine is a new experience for me in that I can now view the AHI information, I have a question. I've noticed that my AHI numbers can vary between .3 up to 1.4 on any given night. Is the difference between the numbers anything I need to be concerned about? I sometimes switch from the Swift FX for her mask to the Bella Loop system. I am curious if the mask might have an influence on the AHI numbers too?

Thank you for any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI question
Howdy Grammabear...

Those variations are completely normal and that range isn't large at all. Your AHI numbers are FANTASTIC.

I vary between 2.0 - 3.5 constantly and I'm not changing a lot of variables. And yes, with a mask change, that can indeed affect AHI.

Nothing at all to worry about. I wouldn't even be concerned unless your AHI starts rising above 5.0 or so on a consistent basis.

Thumbs-up-2
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
They vary because no two nights (and their accompanying days) are the same.

You want that AHI to remain lower than 5.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the information. I never knew what the range for AHI should be, so I learned something today and that makes it a good day Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2012, 09:48 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Thanks so much for the information. I never knew what the range for AHI should be, so I learned something today and that makes it a good day Smile

5-15 is considered mild, so we like to keep it below 5.

I think 15-25 is moderate? (That's me without CPAP therapy).

Anything above that is severe.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2012, 09:48 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Thanks so much for the information. I never knew what the range for AHI should be, so I learned something today and that makes it a good day Smile

Here you go.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._%28AHI%29
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2012, 07:39 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: I am curious if the mask might have an influence on the AHI numbers too?

Thank you for any input.
It can if leak gets over 24 L/min as high leak affect the accuracy of data. Feeling well rested with higher AHI is better than feeling lousy with low AHI but feeling well rested and low AHI is even better also note in deeper sleep which is the restorative sleep we tend to get more apnea events so low AHI on its own is not the best indication.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,423 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.