GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

AHI question
Is there any particular reason (s) why my AHI changes from one night to the next? I've used CPAP for almost 3 years and been really lucky I guess to have a AHI under 5. I am 100% compliant and I use the S9 machine with Swift FX for Her.

Lately I've noticed my AHI reading in the morning can be .5 one night, 1.3 the next night and 2.5 yet another night. I have noticed the reading seems to be higher when I wake up in the morning and realize I've been sleeping on my back. Normally I am a side sleper. I try and remember to change the nasal pillows every 2 weeks as that was the suggestion of the RT I saw when I changed DME providers.

Thank You for any suggestions or advice you may offer. I don't have any software to learn whether I had major mask leaks. I downloaded the software from this forum, but had trouble with trying to get my computer to work right with it. I am technically challenged as well, so probably that does not help solve my problem.
03-24-2013 02:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: AHI question
If I can use the software, anyone can. What software you've downloaded ... Its that simple
Resscan windows based and don,t work with Mac computers
SleepyHead works with both windows and Mac computers
Without the software, we've no way of knowing when apnea events occurred during the night like as you,re trying to fall asleep or if some in clusters or duration of each event in seconds plus other statistics and detailed data graphs
Your machine LCD sleep report shows 95% leak (unintentional leak), 95% pressure, AHI including total AI and central AI
[95% means you've been at or below that number for 95% of the time]

Tennis ball in a sock sewn on back of pyjama tops would help avoid rolling on your back
03-24-2013 03:30 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Each night is different. What we ate, drank, how we felt, stress levels, medications, lack of medications, pain levels...you get the idea. There's a lot of variables that go into a good night's sleep (or a bad one).

If this variation is sudden, take a look at what has changed. What is new or different from before?

I recently started a new medication and my AHI, which used to be fairly a predictable range, now is all over the place. Still less than 5, but the swings are odd. I am considering changing that medication to something else.

So look at what is new or different and see if you can find anything.

The other thing is it has been 3 years. You have an Autoset so that's good. Are you hitting the max pressure more often?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-24-2013 03:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Zonk - My younger son calls me "technically challenged" because everytime he comes to visit, I have a 'list' of computer problems for him to either fix or explain. I will try downloading the software again after I remove my previous effort. Thank You.

Paul - I recently quit one BP medicine and started another, so maybe that helps explain the 'all-over' readings that I see each morning. I also had about 10 days of that virus that is going around and just ached all over. As for reaching max pressure, about a month ago the RT told me my most consistent readings indicate I am often at 11. She set my range between 10 - 18. Good Luck on finding a solution to your problem as well Thank You for your suggestions too.
03-24-2013 04:04 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(03-24-2013 04:04 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Zonk - My younger son calls me "technically challenged" because everytime he comes to visit, I have a 'list' of computer problems for him to either fix or explain.
Me too. My son does it all and showed me how to use it
Who said, cannot teach an old dog new tricks Too-funny
03-24-2013 04:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Just remember when you are doing the install DO NOT install any of the drivers suggested!!!!!
Okay
03-24-2013 04:51 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Zonk - My son shows me 'once' and expects that I will remember it whenever that situation arises again. Just wait until he gets older and finds out that it sometimes takes older 'dogs' longer to learn something Smile
03-24-2013 04:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

I'd give the new medication a few weeks to settle and for you to get over the illness.

BUT it is good that you watch your data and can tell when something is different!

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-24-2013 05:42 PM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Well, GrammaBear, this old dog has learned plenty of new tricks so don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done!

Cheers & Good Luck! =^.^=

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
03-24-2013 06:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20

Other Comments:

(03-24-2013 04:52 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:  Just wait until he gets older and finds out that it sometimes takes older 'dogs' longer to learn something Smile

I don't believe it. I'm 69 and I just finished a master's degree. Summa cum laude, even. My university allows seniors to take classes for free, and I can assure you that seniors abound on campus. As long as my CPAP machine keeps me sleeping well I intend to continue learning.
03-24-2013 06:36 PM