Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Still not feeling better
RE: Still not feeling better
(04-15-2014, 11:28 AM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: It's good to see you found some relief. I may just be not giving it enough time, which I can't help because of my impatience. I suppose I will stick with it a little while longer and see if I see anymore changes.

I think I'm not really making my point. It's not really about me, it's about what does "feeling better" mean to you? If you have apnea, and apparently you do, then ongoing treatment is needed to avoid future unpleasantness as well as possibly reversing current problems.

So I told you some of the things that in my case made me "feel better," but what are your issues? What is it that feels not so great that if it were to go away would cause you to feel the treatment is working for you?

As a wise man once said (I think it was Yoda?) "There is no try. There is only do, or not do."
Post Reply Post Reply
It can take time. Your doctor was an idiot to give you such a timeline as three weeks. Some folks feel better immediately. Some take a year. Some take a few months. Some take 3 weeks.

In the meantime, Google sleep hygeine. Make sure you are doing all you can to ensure you get a good night's sleep.

Also consider keeping a sleep journal. Write in it each night what kind of day you had (busy, lazy, crazy day at work, ball game with kids, etc) and if anything was different (new food, new beer). Add anything different about the CPAP as well, like if you got a new mask to try or if you are having to use a different size because the usual size didn't dry or whatever. In the morning, write down what kind of sleep you had. Did you dream, do you remember them, do you feel rested. When you look at the data, you can then look at your journal and it will help you see patterns. Later, if you do decide to make any pressure adjustments, make sure you write those down, too. That way you remember what you did and when.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 11:46 AM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-15-2014, 11:28 AM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: It's good to see you found some relief. I may just be not giving it enough time, which I can't help because of my impatience. I suppose I will stick with it a little while longer and see if I see anymore changes.

I think I'm not really making my point. It's not really about me, it's about what does "feeling better" mean to you? If you have apnea, and apparently you do, then ongoing treatment is needed to avoid future unpleasantness as well as possibly reversing current problems.

So I told you some of the things that in my case made me "feel better," but what are your issues? What is it that feels not so great that if it were to go away would cause you to feel the treatment is working for you?

As a wise man once said (I think it was Yoda?) "There is no try. There is only do, or not do."

It's mainly the tiredness, pressure in head/around eyes that feels like I've been up all night, just overall not feeling rested when I wake up after a full night. I don't think I've given the treatment enough time to do its magic!
(04-15-2014, 11:28 AM)SleepWrangler Wrote:
(04-15-2014, 10:16 AM)jbuchanan6196 Wrote: My doctor said I would be feeling better after about 3 weeks of using my machine every night. Well here it is almost 3 weeks and I feel very little no change thus far.

I'm six weeks in and I'd say things are beginning to improve. Maybe give it a bit more time?

Also a few things to consider that helped me:
  1. How is your sleep hygiene? Getting to bed regularly at the same time every night? When in bed are you clearing your thoughts, not watching TV, not reading, etc ... I changed my sleep time from 12:00am - 2:00am to 10:15pm period.
  2. Are you getting regular exercise?
  3. Vitamin D3 level OK?
Where I live we get no UVB from the Sun from about late fall and winter (October to March). Vitamin D levels drop all that time. May want to check your vitamin D3 levels. See “The Vitamin D Council” for assay details.

Unsure about Vitamin D3, that may be something to consider also.
Post Reply Post Reply
It really does take time as several of the other people have already mentioned. I experienced some of the same feelings/frustrations when I first started cpap therapy. Someone on the forum explained it to me this way: when you have sleep apnea - you have created a sleep deficit within your body. After starting cpap therapy you start paying back that deficit. Because each of us is a unique individual, for some people it takes longer than other to pay back that deficit. I never believed my husband when he kept telling me how LOUD I snored every night before cpap. One morning about 3-4 months after I started cpap he said to me "you didn't snore last night - I think your therapy is working."

His statement got me to thinking: I wasn't quite so tired when I woke up in the morning, I didn't snore at night, and I didn't fall asleep the minute I sat down in front of the TV at night.

It is hard to be patient. I feel your doctor was in error to put a timeline on how quickly you would feel better. You will make it - give it a bit more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 02:19 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It can take time. Your doctor was an idiot to give you such a timeline as three weeks.

Wow Paula. Tell us what you really thought about that doc. -grin-

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum!
Three weeks is definitely not long enough, I have given it nine weeks and still feel exhausted every day but I am prepared to wait it out. Also I have come to realise I may have contributing factors.
After all this has been going on in our body's for a long time so don't expect to be rid overnight or even three weeks.
Hang in there, I have no doubt you will start to experience changes for the better in the not too distant future.
Good luck and keep us posted..
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been doing this about 3 weeks too and it's funny or ironic how I finally slept really well with the mask and woke up exhausted a few days. Not sure what that was about but I'm sticking with it mostly. Some nights it seems I can't get it right with the mask and leaks and itches so I give up. But for the most part I get many 9 hour nights and no snoring. That's the key for me. Your AI/AHI is really low from what I gather. I'm still trying to understand this stuff but mostly I've read that 5 or under is normal. Mine is running in the 2's to 3's. But in any case, I don't notice anything about how improved my morning or day is. Perhaps maybe you have something else going on but I think this stuff is really long term oriented for your health and it's such a pain in the a$$ to get used too!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2014, 07:47 PM)davek Wrote: I've been doing this about 3 weeks too and it's funny or ironic how I finally slept really well with the mask and woke up exhausted a few days. Not sure what that was about but I'm sticking with it mostly. Some nights it seems I can't get it right with the mask and leaks and itches so I give up. But for the most part I get many 9 hour nights and no snoring. That's the key for me. Your AI/AHI is really low from what I gather. I'm still trying to understand this stuff but mostly I've read that 5 or under is normal. Mine is running in the 2's to 3's. But in any case, I don't notice anything about how improved my morning or day is. Perhaps maybe you have something else going on but I think this stuff is really long term oriented for your health and it's such a pain in the a$$ to get used too!

You sound as if you are going fairly well with the whole thing davek.
I like your last sentence
'but I think this stuff is really long term oriented for your health and it's such a pain in the a$$ to get used too!
How true is that!
Keep up your positive attitude.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 327 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 548 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 560 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.