Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI's not getting below 5 - Suggestions
AHI's not getting below 5 - Suggestions
I have been at my current prescription for a month (and APAP for about 3 months) and my AHI's are not dropping below 5. I have an appt. coming up and would like ideas to discuss at the appt. Ideas meaning how to improve my AHI's.

I am feeling better than before starting xPAP therapy (down from a starting AHI of about 19-30), but definitely not the great and not changed over the past 30 days.

I also am concerned with what 'periodic breathing' is and why I go from 0% most nights to 6 or 8% on other nights with no known changes. I have no other diaganosed cardiac or breathing problems and can (and do) exercise fine with no problems.

[attachment=2624]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI's not getting below 5 - Suggestions
If that was my chart I would raise my min. pressure up two steps for a week and reconsider another raise.Okay

Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI is primarily composed of CA and Hyponeas. You're sort of walking a balance between the two.
PR machines work a bit differently that ResMed Machines -- and I cannot read your machine settings.
One of the "Flex" settings that controls the difference between IPAP and EPAP may improve things if narrowed.
You'll need someone who's more familiar with PR machines to tell you. Sleeprider is pretty sharp on PR machines.

The theory is: lessen the split between IPAP and EPAP may decrease CAs; while permitting higher pressure to suppress HAs.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My settings are:
APAP 8-20
Flex (A-Flex) set to 2 (1-3 allowed)
Humidifier set to adaptive and '3' (1-5 allowed)
Optistart is 'Off'
No ramp in use.

I might try your suggestion lowering or turning off Flex to lessen the difference between inhale and exhale. I thought that was mostly a comfort setting and not greatly affecting the AHI.

BTW, I tried to add the 'Flow limit' graph, but it doesn't seem to exist on mine. Maybe a Philips Respironics thing?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are two of my charts for your review. one at my start and one after reading this form and it's help. My doctor has done nothing for me other than order cpap. My cpap provider is less helpfull than the doctor.

Read and learn from others to better understand how to help yourself.
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2016, 08:37 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Here are two of my charts for your review. one at my start and one after reading this form and it's help. My doctor has done nothing for me other than order cpap. My cpap provider is less helpfull than the doctor.

Thanks for the encouragement. I find it interesting that your pressure never got to (and stayed) at 12 cm very much while under automatic control, but in the second chart the minimum is set at 12 and it regularly goes higher.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I kept feeling better with each step when raising my pressure. I am not stopping with the current settings. I think that I understand better now what to do.

Hang in and do not quit Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 247 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 304 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.