Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] Possible link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's disease.
Possible link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's disease.
Even more reasons to treat your apnea:

https://biermann-medizin.de/zusammenhang...%A4rz+2020

A European team of researchers has identified brain changes that explain for the first time why sleep apnea increases the risk of developing Alzheimer's.

In the study, Dr. Géraldine Rauchs of the University of Caen, France, and her team investigated the effects of sleep apnea on 127 older adults who participated in the Silver Wellé Age Well clinical trial. The volunteers, who were 69 years old on average, completed neuropsychological examinations (tests to assess the functioning of the brain), polysomnographic tests (to assess sleep quality and possible sleep disorders) and brain scans.

Those with sleep-related breathing disorders showed greater amyloid loading, a larger volume of gray matter and a higher metabolism in brain areas that are particularly susceptible to Alzheimer's - which increases their risk of developing the disease in the coming years. No connection was found with cognition, self-reported cognitive and sleep disorders or excessive symptoms of daytime fatigue.

"The results are very significant because, although there has been increasing evidence that sleep-related breathing disorder increases the risk of developing Alzheimer's, the brain mechanisms underlying the connection were unclear," said Rauchs.

"Fortunately, there are effective treatments for sleep-related breathing disorders, but the results of this study again underline the importance of maintaining good quality sleep throughout life to ensure good mental health later in life."

Original
publication : André C et al .: Association of Sleep-Disordered Breathing With Alzheimer Disease Biomarkers in Community-Dwelling Older AdultsA Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Neurology, March 23, 2020
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's disease.
Yes there could be, but then you could link all sorts of things to everything.
You get it or you don't.
My mother had it, so I hope it misses me out.
She had a rare form of it that meant she had long term memory but not short term.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's disease.
Research confirms link between sleep apnea and Alzheimer's disease

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-l...sease.html
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 611 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 552 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.