Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Unsure, Resmed
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
AHI suddenly goes up
My AHI used to be under 5, but then I started losing weight. The past few months, it has never been over .05. I'm not sure I even need CPAP anymore. Then again, my Father had a bad apnea, and he was a skinny rail. Anyway, last night, my AHI was 13! I don't think it has ever been that high. How do I feel? A little tired, but I've been running a bit of a sleep deficit the past month, and the past 2 nights I got 7.5 hours, so I think I feel about normal.

Could this indicate my Resmed S9 is bad? Does this mean something bad for me?
08-12-2015 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

RE: AHI suddenly goes up
First, congratulations on your weight loss! Next, if my AHI went up to 13, I would be concerned especially if it has been at .05, but here's the thing..... Your not using software, so it's hard to determine why your numbers would change that much without looking at your data.

Do you know what your pressure settings are? You should download sleepyhead software, even though you can't post your data untill you have at least 8 posts, but you could tell us what it says as far as pressure, breakdown of ahi events, etc.

OpalRose
08-12-2015 10:55 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi RChadwick,
WELCOME!to the forum.!
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss, and hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
08-12-2015 02:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
kaiasgram Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Aloha
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(08-12-2015 10:55 AM)OpalRose Wrote:  First, congratulations on your weight loss! Next, if my AHI went up to 13, I would be concerned especially if it has been at .05, but here's the thing..... Your not using software, so it's hard to determine why your numbers would change that much without looking at your data.

Do you know what your pressure settings are? You should download sleepyhead software, even though you can't post your data untill you have at least 8 posts, but you could tell us what it says as far as pressure, breakdown of ahi events, etc.

I agree, but first it would be a good idea to identify the machine -- we know it has some data since he's seeing the AHI, but if it's the S9 Escape Auto then SleepyHead won't help -- no high res data (meaning no graphs), and no breakdown of the AHI into event type. But if it's the Elite, Autoset, or one of the VPAP models then SleepyHead might be able to shed some light on what happened.

The model name on the S9 will be right by the Start/Stop button.
08-14-2015 03:03 AM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

G'day RChadwick, welcome to the forum.

As the others have said, it would be good to see your detailed data, if your machine is data capable.

However I wouldn't draw any conclusions from one night's results. Every night is different and occasionally there can be a glitch which gives an anomalous result. I would only worry if this becomes a trend.

As to whether you still need the machine, I think it's very likely that you do. Apnea doesn't generally go away, though weight loss will definitely help. I think if you stopped using the machine your apnea would return to what it was before you started.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-14-2015 06:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
RChadwick Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed s9
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Unsure, Resmed
CPAP Pressure: unsure

Other Comments:

Thanks all for the responses!
My machine is data capable, or it would be if it had an SD card in it. It filled up a while ago, and I didn't know if it was compatible with over-2GB cards.

The past 2 nights the AHI has been normal. The only thing that I can think of that might have caused it is my bite appliance. A few years ago, my dentist said I was grinding my teeth in my sleep. I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone, and get one of those 'Boil and bite' anti-snore mouthguards that keeps the jaw forward. I then wear a head strap to keep my jaw and mouth closed. With the nightshade I also wear, my wife jokes I sleep like a fighter pilot. Anyway, our new dog chewed the appliance, and I got one quickly from Wal-Mart that doesn't have enough material. It protects the teeth, but likely doesn't hold the jaw forward very well. I tightened the strap, and it seems to hold better. Think I'll just have to get a better mouth appliance.
08-14-2015 07:46 AM
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

Hi RD,

I'm with the rest of the folks here.
Get that SleepyHead software going and then you can figure out WHY things are not going right and then 'formulate
a plan of action!
The good folks here will show you how!
It will make you a believer.

How cool is that?
Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
08-14-2015 10:00 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ResMed AutoSet S9 Shuts Off Suddenly geoffleach 5 459 07-25-2016 10:54 AM
Last Post: chill
  Why did the air from my S9 VPAP Auto suddenly get very warm PaytonA 2 334 07-13-2016 12:40 AM
Last Post: chill
Angry My cpap is suddenly not working correctly oregon97232 5 842 01-22-2016 10:00 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Suddenly feeling MAD at my mask...help? TheManseHen 5 1,346 01-27-2015 03:56 PM
Last Post: Sparkle
  System One Heated Humidifier stopped preheating suddenly kfujioka 2 980 10-08-2014 10:16 PM
Last Post: APAAW
  Suddenly mouth breathing after 12months on CPAP Megsy 3 1,283 05-16-2014 01:14 AM
Last Post: Megsy
Gross Suddenly Aerophagia dfstarman 5 2,223 11-09-2013 01:08 PM
Last Post: DocWils