Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI -- supposed to include CA apneas?
AHI -- supposed to include CA apneas?
I have a PRS1 Series 60 auto-bipap. I know that the AHI refers to the number of apneas + hypopneas per hour. My question is whether the apneas in this measure are restricted to obstructive apneas or whether the apneas consist of both obstructive apneas and clear airway apneas. Put differently, does AHI refer to the number of obstructive apneas + clear airway apneas + hypopneas per hour?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI -- supposed to include CA apneas?
(07-16-2013, 01:44 AM)Apnea 1 Wrote: does AHI refer to the number of obstructive apneas + clear airway apneas + hypopneas per hour?
Correct ... Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI number is starting to go back higher. How can I decrease this number?
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2013, 11:20 AM)packgreen49 Wrote: My AHI number is starting to go back higher. How can I decrease this number?

What model of machine do you have? Is it data-capable? If so, you should look at the detailed data to see what is going on. It may be that you need to tweak your pressure settings, but without seeing the detailed data, you are operating in the dark.

By "starting to go back higher", what do you mean? If you are talking about going from an AHI of 1.6 up to 2.2, that may just be normal variations in the exact AHI value. Any AHI less than 5 is considered to be "no apnea". If you are going from, say, 1.6 up to 7.4, then you probably want to investigate making some changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the Philips Resprionics System 1 560P RemStar Auto. I was using nasal mask and was getting 3 to 5 on AHI. I am now using the full mask. Last night it was 9.81. I am using the box on the far left to get these numbers.
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2013, 12:48 PM)packgreen49 Wrote: I am using the Philips Resprionics System 1 560P RemStar Auto. I was using nasal mask and was getting 3 to 5 on AHI. I am now using the full mask. Last night it was 9.81. I am using the box on the far left to get these numbers.
Ron

That machine IS data capable. If you are using Windows, you might want to consider downloading Version 0.9.3 of SleepyHead software here. It might shed some light as to what is going on. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can download the data, but have to understand how to read it. lol
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to have a look at this thread to start to get some idea of what the various plots mean.

With a 560P Auto machine, I would first be looking at the pressure plots to see if your pressures are railing against your upper and/or lower pressure limit settings. If the pressure plots frequently look like they would want to get higher than your upper pressure limit, you should consider increasing that limit to allow your machine to provide the pressure that it believes you need.

The best solution would be to review the data with your sleep doctor or whoever prescribed the machine for you in the first place. If that is not an option, you should educate yourself about your treatment, because although we can provide suggestions and advice, ultimately you will be responsible for your own treatment. Reading the various threads on this site would be a very good start.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first thought with a mask change is what are the leaks. High leaks can give skewed data.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2013, 12:48 PM)packgreen49 Wrote: I am using the Philips Resprionics System 1 560P RemStar Auto. I was using nasal mask and was getting 3 to 5 on AHI. I am now using the full mask. Last night it was 9.81. I am using the box on the far left to get these numbers.
Ron
Whats machine pressure settings and the other numbers showing ... 90% pressure, leak

You need the software to check the breakdown of AHI (obstructive, hypopnea, clear airway)
SleepyHead glossary http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/sl...e=Glossary
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 848 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 300 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 260 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,274 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 276 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 452 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.