Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI too high
AHI too high
I have been using my CPAP machine for 3 years. Recently my AHI is too high. I am using the auto pap with a range from 5-10.5. In June my doctor had prescribed 5-9 but as my ahi was rising I increased the top pressure by .5 gradually as my ahi was too high. Attached are screen shots from last night. Any suggestions?

[/quote]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI too high
You should be adjusting the bottom pressure up to take care of the Obstructives, and at the same same watch that you don't raise your max pressure any more than necessary as that may cause more clear airway events.

If you are using ramp, you could turn it off. With such a low starting pressure, it won't help.

From your pressure graph, it looks like you would do better with a minimum pressure of 6 and eventually ending up around 7, and keep your max pressure where it is now unless you see on the graphs that it is topping out there for a good part of the night.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for your reply. I noticed you have ?Flex 2. My script was for C-flex 3 but the DME provider turned it off at one point, when fitting a new mask and I didn't realize it. This June when a different person came to change the script, she noticed it was off and asked if I wanted it back on. She set it back to C-flex 3 which I didn't like that night. In reading about the machine, I found that when using auto pap it should be set to A-Flex not C-Flex. Is this correct? I have reset to A-Flex 2 which seems to be ok. I do use the ramp feature when I wake during the night and the pressure is high so I can get back to sleep. If I reset the bottom number to 6, I probably would have trouble getting to sleep initially and back to sleep during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's ok, as long as the ramp helps and you are comfortable with it.

AFLEX is a comfort feature to help you breath out against the pressure. It doesn't really kick in with a start pressure much below 6.

As far as the flex setting goes, I have tried all three settings, and 2 seems most comfortable for me.
Everyone is different, so try the different settings and see what works best for you. I have also tried CFLEX in APAP mode, it is a slightly different feel. I believe AFLEX works better.

I had to go back and read your first post. You're not really new at this, so I assume you can make your own pressure adjustments if needed without depending on DME?

I would still move the minimum pressure a bit, and watch your data on Sleepyhead.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could set your minimum therapeutic pressure to 6 and use ramp when you initially go to sleep as well as when you have awakened at night you should be OK .

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm no expert, but the fact that his 95% pressure is the max allowed says to me he might need to up both his min and his max pressures. That machine is trying to go higher than it's being allowed.

Look at the 3rd screen cap, there are a whole bunch of OAs and the machine is maxed out.

Personally I'd try 7 min and 12 max and see how things go.

Post Reply Post Reply
Did the doctor prescribe the pressure after a titration sleep study?

Looking at your charts, you are having clusters of Obstructive events while your machine is maxed out at 10.5cm. You need to raise the pressure to make sure you are not having Clusters of OA.

I would raise my pressure to a range of 8-12 and evaluate for 7 days. You can use A flex at any setting you find comfortable.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for all the reply's. Yes after my sleep study, I was placed on auto from 5-16. The pressure would rise so much, it would blow the mask right off my face. At my next appt, after reviewing my stats the dr. said that 95% of the time my pressure was 9 so she changed it to 5-9. Recently as my AHI was increasing and I don't see her until next June, I increased the top pressure to 10.5, gradually. Most of the time, it still is in the 9-10 range at 95%, and the AHI ranges from 5-8 which I still think is too high. The night I inserted was the worst I ever had. I will try increasing the bottom to 6 and report back. thanks.
[attachment=1887]
Post Reply Post Reply
Raising minimum to 6 will not help. Because aflex kicks in at 6 and makes your effective EPAP to 4. It will give you more OAs.

If you are using aflex in any setting (X11.x2,x3), you really need to push your min pressure to 8 to see an effect, in your case. With aflex on and machine pressure of 8, you are essentially running at IPAP of 8 and EPAP of 6.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='AshSF' pid='138815' dateline='1447704373']
Raising minimum to 6 will not help. Because aflex kicks in at 6 and makes your effective EPAP to 4. It will give you more OAs.

so should I turn off AFlex? and leave settings the same?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 693 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 105 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,422 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 297 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.