Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI update
AHI update
Good Morning All,

I have had some success with my AHI index. This may not work for everyone but it has for me. 

My AHI ranged from 15 to 32, I stopped have a beer or two in the evening and started to eat dinner before  6 pm.
This really didn't do much to lower the events per hour. I tried everything to keep my mouth shut as I think when I went to sleep my mouth came open causing dry mouth ( I use Biotene ) and the jaw drop caused the mask to leak. I tried every chin strap I could find without finding one to work. They all seemed to end up tangled with the mask and they were more trouble than they were worth.

Here is what I did to reduce my AHI index to an average of 6.2 for the last 5 days (range 9.9 to 3.6):

I took a block of foam about a four in. by four in. I cut out a place for my chin and jaw area to rest in. I took a velcro strap, from one of my old headgears, and made a strap to go behind my neck. It does a pretty good job of keeping my mouth closed ( not 100 percent) but my jaw doesn't drop. If I go to the bathroom, at night, I don't have to take it off. I looked on Amazon and a soft neck brace looks like it might do the same for $11. I was not wanting to add another piece of hardware to my mess but I am getting good sleep now. I'm now going to experiment with the beer again in the interest of sleep science haha!

Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Merle
Edwardsville Illinois
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI update
Hey, good for you.  Anything that keeps the jaw from dropping is good.  

Many of us here are using a soft cervical collar.  This not only keeps the jaw from dropping, but helps keeps the neck aligned.  

And no point in giving up beer if you don't have to.   Grin
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi pogosix,
It’s good you are having such great results with your makeshift cervical collar, let us know how the “other” part of your experiment gose, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 370 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 272 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 580 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  [Equipment] Airsense Autoset 11 FW Update GrumGrum 0 452 10-16-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: GrumGrum
  AS11 AutoSet auto update Gideon 10 2,994 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  AirSense 11 OTA update Millstone50 12 3,468 09-01-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,083 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.