Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI versus Events Per Hour?
AHI versus Events Per Hour?
Using Airsense 10 - I had always assumed the "Events Per Hour" was the same as average AHI - What is Events Per Hour? Last night, the EPH were 2.5 and the AHI said 6.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI versus Events Per Hour?
AHI is the EPH for all types of apneas(CA +OA) + hypopneas
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2015, 01:25 PM)PoolQ Wrote: AHI is the EPH for all types of apneas(CA +OA) + hypopneas

what exactly is the EPH - only Obstructive or ?
Post Reply Post Reply
okay I give up where are you seeing EPH. I have scanned the manual, done a search on the web, and liked at sleepyhead-none of these places knows anything about EPH that I can find.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I found it; but cannot find a definition. I did find that it Events per Hour of Use.
I would just be guessing as to why AHI > EPH.

It is a darn good question and deserves to be reconciled.

Bump!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
bluemom51,

Found this description. Does this make any sense?

AHI = AI + HI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown + hypopnea)

Total AI = number of events per hour (obstructive + central + unknown)

AHI - AI = Hypopnea Index = number of hypopnea per hours
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2015, 01:17 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: Using Airsense 10 - I had always assumed the "Events Per Hour" was the same as average AHI - What is Events Per Hour? Last night, the EPH were 2.5 and the AHI said 6.5.
Events per hour is AHI for last night (1 day)
You'll need to set 'period' to 1 day (default 1 month) from the sleep report menu for the two of them to match-up ... easy-peasy

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2015, 03:14 PM)PoolQ Wrote: okay I give up where are you seeing EPH. I have scanned the manual, done a search on the web, and liked at sleepyhead-none of these places knows anything about EPH that I can find.

just know that when i wake up - it is at the top of the "report" screen on the air sense 10 - then when you scroll down it shows the AHI, etc numbers - but at the top it shows EPH and smiley faces although i don't know what the heck they are smiling about - i don't think AHIs of 6.5-17 are wonderful and i feel awful - maybe they are just trying to cheer me up. but i don't see how you can have none of the AHIs and other numbers be under 4 and "events per hour" be 2. maybe it was recording when the cat jumped up on the bed.....? Smile
(11-08-2015, 03:45 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-08-2015, 01:17 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: Using Airsense 10 - I had always assumed the "Events Per Hour" was the same as average AHI - What is Events Per Hour? Last night, the EPH were 2.5 and the AHI said 6.5.
Events per hour is AHI for last night (1 day)
You'll need to set 'period' to 1 day (default 1 month) from the sleep report menu for the two of them to match-up ... easy-peasy
don't see how events per house is AHI for last night - my AHI for last night was 8, not 2 - maybe some sort of average?......but i will set the period to 1 day to see what happens
Post Reply Post Reply
I think zonk has hit it. He's one of the board's best!
Give it a try.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2015, 04:38 PM)justMongo Wrote: I think zonk has hit it. He's one of the board's best!
Give it a try.

yep - changed the time period to daily and EPH aligned with AHI and wonder of wonders, i achieved a AHI of 2.3 last night - it's a miracle - i had upped my lower pressure per someone's advice and i hesitantly took 1/2 the trazadone pill my doc had given me to try and..........(sound the chimes and bells).......my lowest AHI ever. i guess setting the pressure to a tighter range and raising the bottom pressure along with something to calm my intense tossing and turning really worked. i am (per the British) gobsmacked!!

so in summary, the events per hour is just showing you the AHI at the top of the little screen so you don't have to turn the dial down, and yes, as it turns out, i did deserve the smiley faces. yeah!!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 9 19 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 354 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 179 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.