Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important?
AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important?
I am using a Resmed Aircurve 10 ST. My usual pressure is 15 / 10. My AHI is in range most of the time but my oxygen sat is erratic and all over the place (some drops into the 70's). I reduced my pressures for a couple nights to 12  / 9 (sick of ingesting air) and my AHI went up considerably...15.6 but my oxygen was more rhythmic with very few drops and no lows under 90%. What is more important?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important?
Welcome to ApneaBoard, vwboop.  Great question you pose here.  This is just my opinion, and I will explain why I am thinking this way.  IMO, SPO2 is just about the most important overall to look at during sleep.  It may not show the quality of sleep per say, but from the research I have done on sleep apnea, and the things I have learned here at ApneaBoard and from my healthcare professionals, the most substantial problem that sleep apnea can pose is hypoxia (which can damage some organs of the body - heart, brain, etc.).  Keeping SPo2 up during sleep is about the best way to prevent this (either naturally, with pap therapy, or even using supplemental oxygen if necessary).  

As far as feeling rested, spo2 can still be quite good, but with a lot of flow limitations and arousals, etc., a person can still feel horrible after a pretty decent looking night by OSCAR, etc.  Pursuing better quality sleep is in this area is definitely a good goal.  

I expect others to post on this topic also.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,968 364,076 Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Last Post: btreger
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 617 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 498 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Help with 02 desaturation vgrando 14 1,224 07-26-2023, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Apnea23
  [Symptoms] SpO2 desaturation after 2 minute apnea event rwhimlin 0 471 05-19-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: rwhimlin
  Can anybody comment on this desaturation behaviour? desaturator 82 5,721 04-23-2023, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Brucpap
  Most Important OSCAR Data for Dreamstation upsman 2 477 08-24-2022, 06:10 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.