Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

AHI vs Leak Rate
I've been using my CPAP for about two months, and I've noticed a correlation between late-session leak rates and my sleepiness and energy level the next day. Even though my AHI is always 3.0 or below, if I have a large leak near the end of the session, I feel lousy, but if I have a flatline leak profile for the whole session and no sleep interruption, I feel great. Recently, I've only noticed one such session, but the following day was excellent. The mask fits pretty tightly, but apparently it does leak when I move around. Two questions come to mind:

1) Does the correlation make sense or is there likely something else going on?
2) Would a new type of mask help?

Thanks in advance.
01-17-2015 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

RE: AHI vs Leak Rate
(01-17-2015 09:30 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote:  I've been using my CPAP for about two months, and I've noticed a correlation between late-session leak rates and my sleepiness and energy level the next day. Even though my AHI is always 3.0 or below, if I have a large leak near the end of the session, I feel lousy, but if I have a flatline leak profile for the whole session and no sleep interruption, I feel great. Recently, I've only noticed one such session, but the following day was excellent. The mask fits pretty tightly, but apparently it does leak when I move around. Two questions come to mind:

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious what got you started on the Resmed Mirage FX when we have the successor Airfit P10 that is so much lighter, quieter and tolerant of side-sleeping? I have used the FX since it was first released, and it's a really good mask that does not require you to crank down the straps to limit leaks. You might be surprised how much better a looser fit might work...I'd still get over to the Airfit ASAP. It cut my AHI rate in half, and leaks have become a non-issue.

Leaks wake you up. It is every bit as disruptive to your sleep stage as a AHI event. The mask you can wear and never be aware of is the one that lets you rest best. Leak free nights are more refreshing than ones that arouse or wake you from blowing air. Leaks obscure the real AHI since the machine does not get pressure feedbacks. So a high leak rate can hide a AHI that is very high as a result of losing therapy pressure.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 10:58 PM by Sleeprider.)
01-17-2015 10:36 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(01-17-2015 09:30 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote:  1) Does the correlation make sense or is there likely something else going on?

Thanks in advance.
1- Yes it does, any leak, large or small disturb or affect your sleep quality is not good
On the other hand if you're not disturbed and sleep quality is decent, leak does not matter much in scheme of things
Its a futile to aim for zero leak, around or lower 24 L/m is an acceptable leak as far as ResMed machines concerned

2- the proof of the pudding is in the eating, we will never know until we try
I've been using the same mask in my profile for over 4 years, tried few others but they did not come close in term of comfort and seal ...
Everyone is different, one man meat is another man poison
01-17-2015 11:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Jim Bronson Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite

Other Comments:

(01-17-2015 10:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  I'm curious what got you started on the Resmed Mirage FX when we have the successor Airfit P10 that is so much lighter, quieter and tolerant of side-sleeping?
It was prescribed by my sleep Dr. As a newbie, I was not aware of options available, and I'm sure the doc was prescribing what he thought would be the best one, based on my sleep study.

Recently my DME called to say they would be sending me a new and improved mask next month, but I wasn't able to write it down. I'll call them next week and get the model# of the new one and talk it over with the doc. Clearly I have a leak problem, and I'm pretty sure it contributes to my next-morning fatigue level.
01-18-2015 12:23 AM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

Jim, the problems with masks is that no one type will suit everybody. It really is a matter of trial and error. Every face is different - long, thin, round, fat, high cheekbones, square chin or pointy chin, big nose, crooked nose, facial hair ... the list goes on. Some people swear by nasal pillows - I can't stand them. I like a full face mask but others hate them.

The mask is the most subjective part of this whole exercise. Nobody can tell you what's the "best" - it's something you need to find out for yourself. If possible make sure your DME has some kind of return policy so if it doesn't work after a couple of weeks you can return it and try something different.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-18-2015 03:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(01-18-2015 03:13 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  If possible make sure your DME has some kind of return policy so if it doesn't work after a couple of weeks you can return it and try something different.
Sage advice
Why I did not think of that Coffee
01-18-2015 03:20 AM
Gabby Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(01-18-2015 03:20 AM)zonk Wrote:  
(01-18-2015 03:13 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  If possible make sure your DME has some kind of return policy so if it doesn't work after a couple of weeks you can return it and try something different.
Sage advice
Why I did not think of that Coffee

Zonk you probably didn't think of that because we don't have the luxury of such a service over here Sad

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
01-18-2015 07:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Gabby Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 For Her
CPAP Pressure: 8-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

(01-17-2015 09:30 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote:  I've been using my CPAP for about two months, and I've noticed a correlation between late-session leak rates and my sleepiness and energy level the next day. Even though my AHI is always 3.0 or below, if I have a large leak near the end of the session, I feel lousy, but if I have a flatline leak profile for the whole session and no sleep interruption, I feel great. Recently, I've only noticed one such session, but the following day was excellent. The mask fits pretty tightly, but apparently it does leak when I move around. Two questions come to mind:

Thanks in advance.

Kim Bronson I know exactly how you feel and I have been going through it for just over a year.
Leaks are the bane of my life Sad
I have a good pillows mask at the moment the Nuance and I am loving it, and with a new chin strap firmly in place my leaks are looking better.
Keep your chin up and your mouth shut and good luck in finding your mask that suits you.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
01-18-2015 07:23 AM
Jim Bronson Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite

Other Comments:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure I'd mind the nasal pillow type, but I won't know until I try. I took to the nasal mask right away.
01-18-2015 08:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
FieldofDreams Offline

Members

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Pro Bi-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 5.5 - 8.5

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Jim- I know it's an older thread but if you get a chance can you post an update on how you handled the leakage issues, including experience with different masks? I imagine it may help others like me doing some basic due diligence to ID why we still feel tired with relatively low AHI stats, prior to posting for additional guidance.
08-16-2016 09:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 8 349 12-03-2016 02:17 PM
Last Post: sleepyguy99
  [Pressure] Another New Player with Some Leak Issues Platypus 6 229 11-28-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 748 11-27-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Dangerous Dave
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 356 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk
  [Equipment] low heart rate BrownFox292 4 240 11-24-2016 03:34 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Leak rate abrun7 8 439 11-22-2016 09:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  My Leak Issue! harmon k 5 290 11-14-2016 05:22 PM
Last Post: edfreeman