Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

increase in AHI
RE: increase in AHI
(12-06-2016, 09:19 PM)Gio0064 Wrote: Hi OpalRose.

Thank you for your reply. I am comfortable with the mask, fall asleep no problem, just go thru wake ups almost same time every night, 1:30, 3:30, 4:30....one thing that does happen to me is I focus on listening to myself breathe which throws off my normal breathing. I was getting ahi in the 2-3 range for awhile after turning off the flex, but that seems to have gone away.....it's very frustrating as I can't get my number in the 1's and the 2 doctors I have visited never contact me back after I leave, so I feel like I'm on my own

Thanks again

I have found that using some kind of "white noise" in the room helps. I run a fan on low speed even in winter months. This drowns out listening to my own breathing.

Some use music. I have a friend that uses an app that plays underwater ocean sounds. We're all different, whatever works.

Keep the same schedule each night (as much as possible).

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gio0064,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm late to the party here, but I completely agree that if the hypopnea are obstructive, a 1-cm increase in pressure will be effective. Your maximum therapeutic pressure is about 9.0, so I don't see any reason that you would go any higher than 7 / 7.5 for minimum pressure. Your flow limitations are only showing a couple events and snores are a non-factor in increasing your pressure. These make me wonder if your hypopnea are obstructive in nature, or more of a central issue. Except for all the hypopnea, this looks pretty good. Eventually it might be useful to look at a close up (2-3 minute) of some of the hypopnea clusters.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will offer another thing to consider, though I don't disagree with the pressure changes. The changes in pressure from the Auto mode might be disturbing you. I had a similar experience and set my machine to straight CPAP. I have slept for much longer stretches of time since then. I have not yet set it back to APAP to see if the problem resurfaces, so take this as just a possibility. One point of data is just one point of data. This sleep and CPAP and life and everything is a complex business.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you

If I was to look up close at the clusters, what am I looking for? Newbie needs info Cool

Best to all
Post Reply Post Reply
By zooming in on the clusters of apnea, we can see the wave form which will show the nature of the hypopnea, as well as the pressure, leaks and any other things coinciding with that period. Because hypopnea is simply a reduction in flow volume, you are looking for what is different about this period and times when breathing is "normal". Hypopnea is probably the hardest event to interpret since it is not a cessation of breathing, but a reduction in flow, which is usually seen as a different amplitude and/or shape in the wave form. A flattened top to the inspiration may be obstructive flow limitation. The presence or lack of recovery breathing at the end of hypopnea can also give information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you all for the information. So i moved my min up from 6.5 to 7.....may seem crazy but the .5 increase was uncomfortable for me. The result this morning was my hypopneas we cut from the low 30's to 17 BUT i had 7 OA and 4 CA. This is pretty strange as i rarely if ever log a CA and get very few OA.

Any experience with this type of reaction?

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
It's one night following a change. I'd try to gather data over several nights before drawing conclusions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider

How can i verify that my hypopneas are obstructive or not?

Best

G

Post Reply Post Reply
Gio, if you want to post some Sleepyhead charts, the 'collective' will try to interpret the results. My signature links to article on how to format the charts and post them. Also Robysue's guide to Sleepyhead is good reading on this...it may also help you sleep. Smile

My response in post #16 was trying to explain that interpreting this kind of event is difficult, and the differences are subtle. I don't know how I could cover all we might look for in a forum post.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 95 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 157 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 22 1,272 02-25-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: mallowsweet
  [Pressure] More tired after pressure increase EndarSpire 8 435 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 407 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,220 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question [CPAP] Can a chin strap increase your AHI? Kinnu 4 685 10-28-2023, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.