Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI vs how I feel?
AHI vs how I feel?
I have had AHI's of 0 and felt tired in the AM and elevated AHI (compared to my average) and felt great.
What is up with that?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI vs how I feel?
AHI is a means to end, not end by itself ... something like that
An apnea scored when lasted at least 10 seconds or more, anything less 10 seconds not classified as an apnea
Too many of those events (less than 10 seconds) can be be disruptive and affects how you feel

A little higher AHI is nothing to worry about, might also indicate getting into deeper/REM sleep stages which are restorative sleep stages where you feel most rested

AHI 5 or below is normal but if AHI consistently higher, might indicate something is going on and require further investigation

Rightly or wrongly ... that is how I see it Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
I have enabled the optional detections and there seems to be a boatload of micro-events not scored. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
That is why AHI is not the last word in feeling rested. And that is why sleep docs believe that an AHI below 5 is fine.

AHI is a proxy for 'was I starved of air last night and did I have any O2 desats'. The other part of the equation is sleep architecture. Sleep architecture comprises of:
1) Did you spend appropriate amount of sleep in all stages.
2) did you have any RERAs or Microarousals that knocked you out of a deeper sleep stage to a shallower one.
3) Did you have some other sleep disorders. Like PLMD.

An AHI < 5 is a necessary condition for a good sleep architecture but it's not a sufficient condition. Your machine also measures RERAs so you can also measure those.
Those will provide more info but they are still not the complete story. Without an EEG there is no way of knowing if there were multiple Microarousals involved in getting your 0.0 AHI.

So, don't sweat it by analyzing it too much.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I never felt bad before I was in treatment for severe OSA, and never really felt "better" than "not feeling bad" after, I think that definitively proves that there is no one-to-one relationship between how you feel and your AHI, especially since AHI is not really even an accurate indicator of how severe the events you have might be.

There is some correlation, however, at least for many people; I just don't think we can assume that it tracks directly. And I think attempting to correlate the two might take one's eyes off the ball; if one is trying to connect how they feel to xPAP therapy numbers, there is a chance they can be missing the real, non-OSA reasons why they feel bad, which can also be a form of active denial or displacement.

But I didn't get the therapy to feel "better"; I got the therapy to be better, and healthier, and not fall asleep in meetings. And I didn't know it at the time, but I guess I got the therapy to let me sleep through the night without a forced pee break. Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 12:36 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: Since I never felt bad before I was in treatment for severe OSA, and never really felt "better" than "not feeling bad" after, I think that definitively proves that there is no one-to-one relationship between how you feel and your AHI, especially since AHI is not really even an accurate indicator of how severe the events you have might be.

There is some correlation, however, at least for many people; I just don't think we can assume that it tracks directly. And I think attempting to correlate the two might take one's eyes off the ball; if one is trying to connect how they feel to xPAP therapy numbers, there is a chance they can be missing the real, non-OSA reasons why they feel bad, which can also be a form of active denial or displacement.

But I didn't get the therapy to feel "better"; I got the therapy to be better, and healthier, and not fall asleep in meetings. And I didn't know it at the time, but I guess I got the therapy to let me sleep through the night without a forced pee break. Thumbs-up-2

Thumbs-up-2 Nice post. Agreed This was the best I could do since I can't find the Like button.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 12:19 AM)AshSF Wrote: .............
Without EEG ...........

So, don't sweat it by analyzing it too much.

Analyzing is what I do/am LOL !

I guess it is time for an Open EEG project Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
Mark,

Since you are of an analytical frame of mind, have you ever heard of over analyzing? Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 12:22 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I guess it is time for an Open EEG project Wink

You're late to the party.
http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 02:36 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(06-14-2015, 12:22 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I guess it is time for an Open EEG project Wink

You're late to the party.
(Link to sourceforge that I'm not allowed to post yet because I'm too new)

Ohh, more data to over-analyze!! Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 193 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,017 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.