Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI went from <5 to around 10, Testosterone replacement therapy
AHI went from <5 to around 10, Testosterone replacement therapy
Hi, 

I started on testosterone replacement therapy in January. This is known to worsen OSA, so I did expect my numbers to change at least somewhat. Here is my Oskar screenshots, let me know if there's anything else you need...

I'm wondering if bumping up the pressures a little may help. Stomach sleeper, cpap hourglass shaped pillow, conscious effort to not tuck my neck.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI went from <5 to around 10, Testosterone replacement therapy
Your obstructive events are clustered implying a chin tucking. I do suggest a cervical collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have TRT and have not experienced any increases in AHI. The pattern of obstructive events suggests chin tucking. Your machine is near the limits of its pressure range, so if a soft cervical collar does not resolve this, and I think it will, the next step may be a bilevel machine which is capable of higher pressure and more comfortable pressure support. I frankly think stomach sleeping is quite a challenge for the airway as it requires turning your head at an angle that that is likely to increase airway.

Watch your weight on TRT, also be sure to pay attention to blood tests to ensure you are not over-treating. It's fine to be a mere mortal at 400 to 600 rather than 1000+ ng/dL
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2020, 12:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I also have TRT and have not experienced any increases in AHI. The pattern of obstructive events suggests chin tucking. Your machine is near the limits of its pressure range, so if a soft cervical collar does not resolve this, and I think it will, the next step may be a bilevel machine which is capable of higher pressure and more comfortable pressure support.  I frankly think stomach sleeping is quite a challenge for the airway as it requires turning your head at an angle that that is likely to increase airway.

Watch your weight on TRT, also be sure to pay attention to blood tests to ensure you are not over-treating.  It's fine to be a mere mortal at 400 to 600 rather than 1000+ ng/dL

As far as TRT goes, I'm at 100mg/wk and not overly worried about going any higher since 125mg/wk already had my resting heart rate rising and I didn't feel any better. Minimum effective dose has always been my outlook.

I agree with both of you that I may still have tucking problems. You can't really will that out (as much as I'd like to think I can). I will look into different collar options and see if I can implement one. Any advice based on experience for choosing a collar?  I wish I could learn to sleep on my back or my side, but I seem not succeed anytime I try to train myself to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the link in my signature on Soft Cervical Collar. It does talk about collars and alternatives.
Post Reply Post Reply
I envy you, I got low testo. too, 3 in a scale of 7-21 but they dont want to prescribe me any gels, im 31.
Post Reply Post Reply
*update*

Purchased a soft cervical collar about 4 weeks ago and have been wearing it every night since. It has 100% resolved neck and shoulder pain, it feels like it's helping but my numbers still aren't great. I'm wondering if there are any other obvious things i'm missing here, i'm getting days with like 1-3 AHI, then 10-13 AHI. Here are a few charts:
    [attachment=23578][attachment=23580]
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure the collar prevents chin tucking. With results and pressure like this a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto is medically necessary. If you have good insurance ask your doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
With the collar on, see whether your chin can tuck down between the collar and your neck. If it can, that might be the problem. A somewhat different style of collar: the Eliminator, which is a half collar that is firmer. I find that when I adjust it just right, it will support the end of my chin but barely touch the rest of my lower jaw.

Looking at your charts, I do also wonder whether you sometimes sleep on your side or back and have a better or worse time of it in one sleep position rather than another. Any idea whether that might be the case?

Finally, people can train themselves to sleep in new positions. I wonder whether a half-way measure for you would be to get one of those long body pillows and lean on it to sleep half-way between stomach and side.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 155 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 252 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,339 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.