Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHIs Good, Waveforms? Not So Much
RE: AHIs Good, Waveforms? Not So Much
Turned off EPR last night. The machine settings show it was on, probably because I turned it back on about 2:45 this morning. Having EPR off did limit the central flags, but really brought out Hypopneas, RERAs and Flow Limits. Pressure was also substantially higher for that session.

All in all, that was a very unpleasant experience, one I don't want to go through again.

Here are a couple screen shots. Let me know if you want anything else.

Larry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Please Lofty,  why was it an unpleasant experience? Specifically what was bad?

Because of the flow limits your pressure will climb to the max value that is set.

Without EPR/PS we need to increase your pressure to see if we can treat your apnea.

Your apnea calls for the use of EPR or Pressure Support to best treat it, so the detailed answers to the above questions is very important.

Something to try that I don't think will work is to try a soft cervical collar and see if that helps.  I do not see the patterns in your charts that we see when a collar is normally suggested.  This is just an attempt to see if this helps.

A BiLevel has some additional controls that can be utilized but let's see if we can understand what your difficulty is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bonjour,

Exhaling without EPR was difficult for me. It seemed like I was having to work really hard to sleep. Also, the higher pressures were causing more leaks, both around the mask and into my mouth. I'm currently using a ResMed F30 full face mask, but almost exclusively breathe through my nose. I can keep my tongue up against the roof of my mouth, but once the pressure gets above 15 or so air leaks into my mouth and I get chipmunk cheeks, which wakes me up. My sleep doc says I have a short palette, whatever that means. I can keep air out of my mouth at pressures up to about 15.

I've tried the N30i and the Respironics Dreamwear nasal masks. I don't have a problem usually with lip seal. When my cheeks inflate I wake up.

If you think I should try 20 cm H2O max pressure I'll give it a shot though. It's only one more night. Smile Exhaling with pressure support is a lot easier though.

Let me know if there are any other screen caps you want.

Thanks,

Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
Bring EPR back in, I would suggest EPR =3 Full Time. Then back off pressure. The use of EPR should help you to hold a higher pressure without the chipmunk cheeks. We need to get it down at least to where that doesn't happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred we suggested EPR off due to CA’s I would not recommend going back to EPR 3 maybe set epr at 1
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll post 1 more screen cap from last night, which, in my mind, shows that what we're doing is changing waveforms just enough to keep software from flagging events.

To me this looks very "Stokesish". Probably not something that would be scored on a polysomnogram, but really is a manifestation of the same underlying process, whether it's called pattern breathing, Cheyne Stokes, or high loop gain breathing. But all I've ever dealt with is my own situation, and I don't know much yet. Smile

Thanks for looking, and let me know what to try next. 

Larry

Post Reply Post Reply
Then use EPR= 1

looking back I see that you are seeing wide fluctuations in CA over time. That is fairly common.

If you post a copy of your overview it will give us an idea of how much fluctuation you are having.
Some of the detailed flows you posted indicated that your centrals maybe CO2 based. If so, there is a technique called EERS with which you rebreathe a small amount of CO2 to help minimize the centrals and allow a higher EPR/PS to manage your flow limits and RERAs
Post Reply Post Reply
Here're the overview screen caps.

Thanks,

Larry

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks jaswilliams and bonjour.

I'll look into picking up pieces/parts to put an EERS together. Best case, I'll probably need a machine with better pressure support if I want to tackle flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would seem that with the current machine, it's a balancing act to address events without inducing CA. Best case is we find the right combo of settings that reduce all events, especially those you would tell us are most disruptive to your rest. Note that CA has a consistent inconsistency quality to them. That's why I like to see trends. Example: Today you may think CA are effectively treated, but tomorrow there they are again.

Eventually, I see you headed to a VAuto or maybe the ASV due to CA and other events. I think you'll probably be better served with PS, but as is EPR is effective if we can find the right setting balance.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 34 3 hours ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Do these waveforms represent an arousal BigWing 2 107 03-26-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 147 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.