Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Need some new device advice to help with my apnea
Need some new device advice to help with my apnea
Thank you for viewing my first post. 

Quick summary.  

I've been waking up tired and been struggling with fatigue for a long time.  I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea.  Went to a sleep study and was almost ripped off on a bipap machine.  So I bought my own from amazon, remembering the 12/20 setting the helper told me.  I have a phillips dreamstation and a full mask.  So far I am feeling a difference.  Its like waking up feeling I had a few energy drinks an hour ago.  So I am getting some progress.  I still get tired later in the day and some days its just not as effective.  So I have some questions and problems. I really hope I can get some help.

1.  I struggle with the air going into my mouth and I feel like a puckerfish or something.  I was thinking of buying a strap to keep my mouth shut.   Is there anything else I can try to stop this?

2.  I can't seem to keep my mask on.  Oddly, I wake up and I can see I clearly took off the mask and put it neatly back on my nightstand.  I'm doing it in my sleep.  Kind of weird.  Any tips?

3.  How do I know if I'm wearing my mask right?  I struggle with this because the pressure changes based on how I have it sitting on my face. 

4.  As I avoided being scammed, I was told to put my device on a 12/20 setting.  I recently upped that to 13/21.  Whats the best way to optimize my settings?

5.  My device has bluetooth, should I look at my data?  Will that help?

Again, any help is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need some new device advice to help with my apnea
G'day lightingbird. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Do you have your full sleep study report? It would be interesting to see why a bilevel was recommended. Apart from the ripoff angle, of course, though normally they try to get you onto the cheapest nastiest brick as there is more margin that way. Anyhow, it's good to know that you're feeling better with your machine.

1. If you're using a full face mask as per your profile, this shouldn't be a problem as the air pressure will equalise through your entire airway, nose and mouth. If you're actually using a different type of mask, you can try a chin strap or soft cervical collar to help keep your mouth closed. Some people tape their lips, but it's not something I'd be comfortable recommending.

2. Yep - it happens to all of us at some time. It's a matter of getting comfortable with the therapy. Some people put some tape over the mask and skin so that when you take it off you feel the tape pulling. That could work. Alternatively, if you have a bed-partner get them to give you a nudge if they notice it's off. She Who Must Be Obeyed always tells me because my snoring wakes her up.

3. It's got to be comfortable and not leak. If it leaks while you're awake you'll know it - you'll feel it or hear it. Or your partner will hear it when you're asleep. But how do you know the pressure changes? And how do you know the changes are due to the mask?

4. Are you sure it was a scam? The best way to optimise your therapy is to get #SleepyHead software and review the graphs. That will tell you exactly how things are going, on a breath-by-breath basis. It will also show up leaks.

5. See Question 4. Yes, in my view a proper monitoring software is essential, otherwise you're only guessing. The apps that connect by bluetooth will give you summary information, but #SleepyHead will give you detailed data for analysis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

First there are many solutions to most issues.  Different things work for different people.
Read the contents of the links in my signature, Mask Primer 1st.

1.  I struggle with the air going into my mouth and I feel like a puckerfish or something.  I was thinking of buying a strap to keep my mouth shut.   Is there anything else I can try to stop this?
A soft Cervical Collar, Holding your tongue on the roof of your mouth, It will take some time but it usually works.  These and other hints are in the Mask Primer

2.  I can't seem to keep my mask on.  Oddly, I wake up and I can see I clearly took off the mask and put it neatly back on my nightstand.  I'm doing it in my sleep.  Kind of weird.  Any tips?
Wear your mask in a non-sleeping situation, reading, watching TV, etc.  This is to get used to it.

3.  How do I know if I'm wearing my mask right?  I struggle with this because the pressure changes based on how I have it sitting on my face. 
Read the Mask Primer for fitting hints, some really good ones there.  Search for videos from the manufactures on fitting masks,  they tell you how that particular mask should sit.  There are Mask Fitting Templates in the Mask Primer

4.  As I avoided being scammed, I was told to put my device on a 12/20 setting.  I recently upped that to 13/21.  Whats the best way to optimize my settings?
By downloading SleepyHead and posting your daily charts.  As we review your settings we will suggest modifications.  Your settings were determined in an unfamiliar place (sleep lab) on an unfamiliar bed, with an unfamiliar pillow, with all kinds of wires and such attached to you, sarcastically a real normal sleeping situation.  They will change.

5.  My device has bluetooth, should I look at my data?  Will that help?
Look at and post your data (SleepyHead) as above.  Bluetooth will not help.  Also post the results of your sleep study, the detailed report (remove personal info

This group here tends to give very good advice BUT it depends on seeing data.

again welcome to the forum.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
use sleepyhead to see what us going on.

this will give you an idea on titrating your cpap
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

and the Philips titration
http://incenter.medical.philips.com/docl...%3d9792335
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lightingbird,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,540 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,048 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 289 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,029 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.