Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Why is CPAP capped at 20cm?
RE: Why is CPAP capped at 20cm?
Walla Walla - In Bi-Pap mode there is a spread between the ex and inhale pressures - the 25 is an inhale. In CPap the 20 is for both, and thus limited.
Post Reply Post Reply
Robert, Thank you. I have a BIPAP and know you can setup the IPAP and EPAP both to 25 cm which would be the same as a CPAP that went to   25 cm. Since you can do that why do they cap CPAP mode to 20cm on the BIPAP? Oh-jeez
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Very good question. I do not know. But from a practical matter, have you ever tried to exhale against 20 or 25 cmH2O pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Robert, Yes last night my EPAP maxed out at 22.5 cm. Once you get pass the first breath or two it's no big deal. Some people think 10 cm is a lot of pressure. But once they get use to it they don't even notice. The two things I do notice though is the air stream exiting the mask is stronger and the humidifier clicks a little due to the pressure. I can't prove it but I'm beginning to believe it's all about marketing. If you want a higher pressure you have to buy the more costly BIPAP Machine. They could make a CPAP at 25cm but it wouldn't make them any more money.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP capped out it's set pressure setting Diotima245 1 1,050 05-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help! cpap pressure stuck at 20cm heavysleeper123 9 6,049 02-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.