Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AM radio DX as a hobby
RE: AM radio DX as a hobby
Yes it has an AM antenna input and ground jack, both screw terminals.

Thanks for the disconnecting external antenna tip Boss. Wouldn't be a happy thought to get burned up electronics. I'm researching DIY antenna projects. Loops sound interesting, as does long wire. My big thing is finding an interference free listening area.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
If you have a long wire outside antenna you should (Must?) have a lightning arrester connected to an outside ground - a good solid ground. You want any static charges drained off outside the house...

My 1959 ARRL Handbook told all about it...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good tip pholynyk. thanks

The only Sparky that's tolerated is me. Coffee
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
when in high school in northern minnesotax we had an old 4 foot high radio at home.it had an am and a couple shortwave bands i think. sometimes i'd listen to short wave radio havana cuba propaganda talking about the tens of thousand of troops killed and thousands of tanks destroyed that day. the numbers were ridiculous. other times to clear channel country KAAY little rock, a clear channel out of baton rouge and some other ones. Good entertainment on cold winter nights. To this day i love the old country.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Great info greatunclebill, I've always loved radio equipment, only now I can do something about it

I've created an Excel data log for the AM DX. I've yet to complete a full AM band scan. Obvious that each night is a bit different. I've gotten several Chicago, IL stations, that Baja, CA Spanish XEMO several times (2,200 or so miles away), a few Ontario Canada stations, etc. Internal AM Ferrite only with these results. Although I did take a stab at building a loop already, it's not as good as I hoped. Then again, I have yet to try this outside.

All results are with me sitting in the recliner in the living room.

I've got a mid-priced external antenna ordered, and it may arrive in about 2 days. Then I'll see what the results are.

This may be all the more shopping I do for AM. I'm pursuing the FCC Amateur Technical license then quickly to General and of course the radio and accessories to go with that.

Coffee
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been AM DXing since I was a kid. By far, and still considered one of the best by many, the GE Superradio III has been my go to radio. Without any external antenna or loop, I regularly get the big clear channel stations all over east of the Mississippi around sunset and many smaller stations with 100-200 miles. The radio is no longer made but widely available on eBay. 

There are several models with slightly different features. The model III that I have has excellent sound due to the large mid-range speaker, dome tweeter and tone controls. A big plus for good listening. The model II, however, is said to be a better radio. There is a website dedicated to this radio that describes every variant of the radio in detail.

Although I love pulling in distant stations, if you really want to “DX” to listen all night radio-locator.com is the way to go.

Clint
Post Reply Post Reply
Great tips, thanks. I have heard about those GE SuperRadios. Could have bought a new one when I was a kid. Now I wish I did.
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsup CQ, CQ, CQ... calling all ham radio operators... SuperSleeper 332 42,894 10-31-2020, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  What`s your hobby? u8myufo 83 12,144 08-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Last Post: StevesSp

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.