Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ANYONE HAVE AN ACTUAL PHOTO OF WHAT CHIN TUCKING IN SLEEP APNEA LOOKS LIKE?
ANYONE HAVE AN ACTUAL PHOTO OF WHAT CHIN TUCKING IN SLEEP APNEA LOOKS LIKE?
I must not be using the best search string on the handy dandy Google because I can't find a picture that looks like what everyone says is such a problem in sleep apnea.  I enter the keywords chin tucking, chin tucking sleep apnea, etc. and all I get a pictures of people who have had jaw surgery, or pictures of people using CPAP masks but they don't appear to be "chin tucking".  I get pictures and videos of people showing how to do neck exercises, pictures of tongues, all kinds of pictures but what I want to see.

When I asked the sleep lab tech about if I was doing it or not she said I opened my mouth a bit but didn't see my jaw recede back?

Does anyone have an actual photo of this "chin tucking"?  (My doctors office hadn't ever heard the term, I was told they had to look it up.  Does "chin tucking" have a more formal name?

Thanks.

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ANYONE HAVE AN ACTUAL PHOTO OF WHAT CHIN TUCKING IN SLEEP APNEA LOOKS LIKE?
Bend you head forward and down until your chin touches your chest. That is chin tucking. The movement doesn't need to be all the way to your chest to compromise the airway. Try a simple experiment. With your head fully upright, take a couple of deep breaths. Then nod your head forward so your chin touches your chest, do the same, and note the difference. hopefully this helps and a picture shouldn't be necessary.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
the phenomenon that is being medically researched id called "Cervical Alignment" I didn't know that until I stumbled into the research.
Post Reply Post Reply
How about these Phoebe

It doesn't need to be this severe though
Anything that has a tendency to deform the throat

[Image: finalchintochest.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlVI3Or47stv3ypH9hVva..._WNa8mC1&s]
[Image: Neck-flexion.jpg]
[Image: 8205e5e2-6cc7-4c95-83fc-fe7a80981be9.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the best way I could describe it the other day
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid329095

Here's an experiment you can try just to convince yourself if this talk about neck tucking makes any sense to you or not...

1) Sit upright in your chair with your chin slightly raised as if looking through a window at the top of some trees
2) Take several breaths and try to notice how "open" your throat feels... this works best if you breathe through your mouth.
3) Now bend your head forward and intentionally try to touch the top of your chest with your chin
4) Take a few more breaths through your mouth and see if you feel a little "strangled" as if your throat is closing off.

I hope that experiment works for you.
It's that kind of "self strangulation" that can happen if your airways don't stay straight and open.

As already mentioned, two ways of choking yourself are..
a) Inadvertent chin tucking when you are asleep. I tend to do this when I get into the fetal position.
b) Having a stack of pillows that are too high and they lift your head relative to your body and they almost immediately put you into the chin-tuck before the night has even begun.

EDIT: Other things to try might be...
1) try not using any pillow at all (that's the smallest lowest pillow I can think of)
2) What else can you think of along these lines?
Post Reply Post Reply
This solution seems a little excessive though

[Image: 71BH50iwhdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg]

If you want to find a rather spooky solution for medieval positional apnea .. google for "Heretic's fork"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

This is VERY helpful everyone.

BUT...either I am just too dumb to do the experiments correctly or I'm just a hot mess of Mrs.Opposite because I really can't tell much of a difference.  

Maybe I'm not doing it for long enough?

My thought is maybe I don't have an issue that the cervical collar addresses?  I don't think I have heard anyone mention that this cervical collar works for you if it is the tongue issue I have?

Curious,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
No it won't solve the problem if the problem isn't happening in your case.
You and I both have mallampati 3 tongues and we have lots of inventive ways of blocking our airflow without chin tucking.

[Image: mallampatiscore_913672.jpg]

However, for people who DO have chin tucking episodes, the improvement can be profound

A really good statistical chart showing the benefits for one member showed up in the past few days (timcharper)
Let me hunt it down for you

[Image: attachment.php?aid=19157]
Post: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid329752

EDIT: One way people spot the chin tucking in OSCAR plots is when you suddenly get a bunch of OAs clustered together in one place.
The assumption is that the sleeper just went into a chin-tuck position and then straightened it out again. Hence the term "positional apnea".

EDIT2: Those charts are probably based on this (or something similar)
[Image: box-plot.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 125 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 554 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.