Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP - Elevated pressure while awake?
APAP - Elevated pressure while awake?
OK, so the parameters I set on my Airsense 10 were pressure range 4.4 to 8, with EPR set at 2. Therefore, according to what I have read with EPR 2 my actual pressure range would be 4 to 6 (as machine will not go lower than 4). So this afternoon as a test I took a 20 minute rest on my bed with cpap at these settings. I was fully awake the entire time, but very relaxed. Well 10 minutes in the machine crept up to the highest setting allowable with my presets, that being 8. Theorhetically, if someone without apnea did exactly what I did, what would typically be the highest the machine would go, and why did my pressure go up to 8 (6 factoring in EPR) while I was awake (totally normal breathing with full in/exhallations).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP - Elevated pressure while awake?
I find it uncomfortable to try to breathe through the machine, tubing, and mask in that few seconds before the machine reaches its minimum pressure setting.  I also wake up immediately if the electricity goes off.  So I think there's some minimum pressure level needed just to compensate for the difficulty of breathing through all that gear, even for someone without sleep apnea.  Maybe it's 4, or maybe it's 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
This could be a machine defect. Respironics machines can develop a defect in which they incorrectly sense "vibratory snore" - including while you're awake and breathing normally. They bump the pressure up as a result of this false sensing. See https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.....2022.0145  for specifics.

I wasn't aware of similar problems with ResMed machines, which I think is what you have, right? Can you look at an upload in OSCAR and see what it's showing? There should be some events to which it's responding, leading to the rise in pressure.

I'd be happy to work with you to figure this out. As the author of the article I linked to, I have quite an interest in machine defects. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
You do not know how EPR works.  EPR (exhale pressure relief) subtracts from the Min pressure during exhale.  In other words Min 7 and EPR 3 would give you an inhale of 7 and an exhale of 4.   Min 7 - 3 Epr = 4 exhale.  However all cpap machines can go only as low as 4 - that is the lowest pressure that the machine will go no matter what you do.  So lets give a example of Min 4.5 and EPR 3 - Min 4.5 minus 3 Epr would be 4 because that is the lowest it can go.  EPR does nothing with the Max Number.

Resmed uses Flow limits to raise pressure...  So If you have flow limits the pressure goes up to stop the flow limits from becoming O and H events.  Flow limits, Obstructive, and Hypopnea (FL, O, H events) are the same thing - Apnea.  They are classifications of the same thing - Apnea.  I have how apnea is categorized in my signature at the bottom of the post.

IF you need help with any settings - we need to see data from OSCAR graphs.  When you post them make sure you put the following in the screenshot.  Event Flags, Pressure, Flow Rate, Leak Rate, Flow Limits....
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
For most people, whether they have sleep apnea or not, will register apneas or flow limits if they use a cpap machine while awake. This will almost always drive your pressure up to the max setting. Your breathing pattern while asleep can very different than when you are awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2023, 09:42 AM)Grandpapa-G Wrote: For most people, whether they have sleep apnea or not, will register apneas or flow limits if they use a cpap machine while awake. This will almost always drive your pressure up to the max setting. Your breathing pattern while asleep can very different than when you are awake.

What makes you say that most people have apneas while awake? I haven’t heard that before and it seems counterintuitive. 

Thanks for replying.
Post Reply Post Reply
When awake, our breathing pattern is erratic and easily exceeds the time limit used to determine an apnea. When we sleep, our breathing pattern becomes more rhythmic.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best guess is your pressure is set too low and you end up using reparatory effort to obtain the flow rate you require. This causes flatting of the inspiratory wave which is interpreted by the machine as flow limitation, causing pressure to increase in accordance with the algorithm. I would suggest a minimum pressure of 6.0 maximum pressure 9.0 with EPR 3 to provide a range of 6/4 to 9/7 (inhale/exhale). Why are you trying such low pressure?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2023, 10:06 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: When awake, our breathing pattern is erratic and easily exceeds the time limit used to determine an apnea.  When we sleep, our breathing pattern becomes more rhythmic.

- Red

Thanks! Very interesting
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 324 8 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 133 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,204 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 138 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 217 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 899 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.