Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP Prescribed for Central Sleep Apnea?
(02-20-2017, 10:24 PM)NeverRested Wrote: I should mention, this is from a day where I took off my mask while sleeping, which I did a lot at first, so the data for the night is incomplete.  This also shows my settings before they were changed by my sleep dr from 6-16 to 4-16.

[Image: JgiVTzO.png]

The CSR pattern that you see is just a more extreme form of your Central Apnea. The machine escalates the "Periodic Breathing" that is evident in the chart you posted to CSR from time to time. If you, as I do, have Central Apnea NOT associated with Congestive Heart Failure you are going to see Periodic Breathing and Central Hypopneas during your sleep study. These will escalate to include many periods of CSR when you are on a traditional CPAP or APAP machine. Your data will show that your CPAP machine has failed to treat your Central Apnea. The next step might be to have a titration on an ASV machine to show that ASV is an effective treatment. You are on the right track.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post from Imgur

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Rich and just want to contrast your example with the one I posted earlier. True Cheyne Stokes is a gradual waxing and wainng of the respiratory effort usually including a central apnea at the nadir of the cycle. In congestive heart failure, this may be associated with fluid in the lungs that make the central apnea appear to be obstructive as in the closeup of the example I posted before; however this is still a central event. Just as the machines don't always get it right, Sleepyhead doesn't either, but you can fix it. You can change the label for CSR to PB and Periodic Breathing, which is what it is. Just go to the Sleepyhead Menu File/Preferences/Events, and double click on Cheyne Stokes Respiration and change to Periodic Breathing, and change the abbreviation from CSR to PB. Your graphs will look a lot less alarming and what you show above is periodic breathing. This is Cheyne Stokes, but the graph is labeled PB. Note the duration of these apnea (over 40 seconds) and the very gradual transitions in and out of apnea. It is the gradual transition that is the hallmark of this disease.

[Image: K256c5Rh.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
This is both helpful and reassuring. Thank you. I've had a little trouble with the VA, it was a challenge to even get a smaller mask when the one I started with was much too big, so I imagine an uphill battle to get the right therapy, but at least I'm on the right track. Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply

The new administration seems intent on improving the treatment our service men and women get from the VA, so hopefully they will become more responsive soon. Your case is pretty straight-forward in that you have already had a positive diagnosis for central apnea. The procedure to trial CPAP is a formality that few people understand, but it is written policy and procedure for the approval of the more expensive ASV device. I think your doctor should be supportive and transparent about this process. Let him know what you know now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Following... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any feedback on Sleep Apnea supplements? kennmcb 8 208 Yesterday, 02:49 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Stroke and Central Apnea richb 5 156 08-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Can you have sleep apnea during the day? zonk 23 54,819 08-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CPAP vs APAP Phatkid77 6 264 08-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP: APAP settings: standard vs. dynamic Costas P 1 288 08-14-2017, 02:02 PM
Last Post: yrnkrn
  Questions to Resmed Airstart APAP discontinued production. sharp56 9 347 08-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Last Post: tedgreen
  Guide to choosing APAP machine slarai 4 217 08-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Last Post: tedgreen