Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP Suddenly Not Detecting AHI
APAP Suddenly Not Detecting AHI
Machine:  Resmed Airsense for Her 10
Mask:  Airfit N20
Average AHI:  >1 but usually settles around 0.3 - 0.5
Tracking:  MyAir
***I don't use Oscar, as it may come up***
Pressure Range: 5-9, usually 7-8 at night

I've been using this machine for about a year, with no issues.   I clean the hose and tank once a week and switch my mask and filter every 2.  

On Sunday, I did my usual cleaning (hose in soapy hot water and soft brush cleaning of the tank), let everything dry, and reattached everything.  It was time to switch my mask and replace the filter.  I woke up Monday with an AHI of 0.0.  This isn't totally unusual as I get the occasional 0.0 but it isn't super common.  I woke up Monday night to another AHI of 0.0 and again, this morning to another 0.0.

The machine isn't detecting any mask leaks.  I checked all my connections, re-plugged in the hose attachment, thought maybe the mask replacement might be a dud and switched to a new one, adjusted the fit of the N20 head gear, and removed and reslotted the water tank.  I'm WFH today, so I was able to go back to sleep to test out if any of these steps fixed the problem but I still am showing an AHI of 0.0.   I'm unable to find any tears in the hose.  I have back up water tank that I can switch to see if that's the problem, but I think based on what I've read AHI detection is most influenced by mask and hose leaks.  I can't find any leaks though and I haven't changed how I wear the mask and haven't had a problem until Sunday. ETA: I did have the machine unplugged for most of Sunday as I needed the power outlet to run a vacuum and carpet steamer. The machine is rarely unplugged, otherwise.

It could be the case that I'm just having a hot streak of no AHIs but I really don't think that's true.  I've left a message with my sleep doctor but it may take a day or two for her to get back with me.   I'm getting consistent pressure at night but I'm concerned that because the machine adjusts pressure based on the apnea events it detects, I'm not getting meaningful pressure that's helpful.

Does anyone know how else I can troubleshoot this?  Would resetting the machine maybe help?  Is this something that can just break on the machine and do I need to look into getting it replaced or repaired?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP Suddenly Not Detecting AHI
You said you don’t use Oscar but that is what gives us the data to know what is happening!
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the primary reason is our computers at home don't have SD card readers. And my usage of my machine has gone incredibly smoothly for the last year with no issues, so it didn't create incentives to get a USB reader. I guess I can get one, but I'd prefer not to spend the money if it can be helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are so cheap you can get them anywhere.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people have reported that a string of 0 AHI can be fixed by re-booting the CPAP machine. Unplug the power cord from the wall socket and wait about a minute before plugging it in again.

It's cheap and easy to try.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2022, 03:34 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Some people have reported that a string of 0 AHI can be fixed by re-booting the CPAP machine. Unplug the power cord from the wall socket and wait about a minute before plugging it in again.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2022, 03:34 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Some people have reported that a string of 0 AHI can be fixed by re-booting the CPAP machine. Unplug the power cord from the wall socket and wait about a minute before plugging it in again.

As an update, that fixed it.  So, now I know.  Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2022, 10:09 AM)Rootkit Wrote: As an update, that fixed it.  So, now I know.  Thanks for your help!

A good rule of thumb for many CPAP (and non-CPAP) oddities or unexpected behaviours is a reset. Turn off for a minute or so and restart.
Post Reply Post Reply
And here I was, naively hoping that Rootkit was having a string of 0.0 AHIs for real. Ah well, hope springs eternal.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,818 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.