Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP Trial Night vs. CPAP - I feel great!
Cool 
APAP Trial Night vs. CPAP - I feel great!
Thanks to those who looked at my data from straight CPAP usage and pointed me to discovering that my machine could do an APAP trial.

Last night was the second night for me to use the machine on the APAP setting. On the first night, I had the min pressure set at 7.0. I woke up in the middle of the night & it took awhile for the pressure to get back, so the AHI wasn't that great.

I set the min pressure at 9.0 last night (max at 15.0) and not only were my numbers much better, I woke up at 6:40 am feeling energetic, rested, and hungry. None of those are typical for me most mornings.

I know, I know, it's just one day, but it's really nice to feel better.

I have some questions about why the pressure didn't increase at certain times and why it decreased at others, but I'm not going to post those graphs right now.

Daily summary graphs for CPAP at 9.0 cm and for APAP at 9.0-15.0 cm:

[Image: bw5rZVc.png]
[Image: tApbpoz.png]

Thank you so much, Apnea Board folks! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP Trial Night vs. CPAP - I feel great!
Hi green wings,
That’s great to hear, keep up the good work and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi green wings,

Looks like 9 is a good minimum number. I suggest raising the Max Pressure to 16 to give the trial room to go higher if it wants to.

If the machine is your permanent machine, I suggest ending the trial after a week. I think the total days used in trial mode may be limited to 30.

If that is true, you will want to save most of the time in APAP Trial Mode for later years. Like maybe a week per year.

Look in the User Manual and Provider Manual to find out if there are limitations on how many total days APAP Trial Mode can be used, after which it might never be able to be used again.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi green wings,
I am curious to see what pressure the trial mode will reset you at. It wouldn't surprise me to see it settle somewhere between 10 and 11.

vsheline is correct with his thinking in ending the trial after 7 days, and to raise the max pressure a little higher to see what the machine will do.

Please post back here to let us know.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,

My data last night was flow-limited for quite a while at 15.0 cm, so I am going to increase the max pressure for tonight.

I have only had one night so far where I woke up feeling good the next morning. Sad

The next night of the trial after the graph posted here, I woke up around 4 am to find that my nasal mask was over my mouth! From the data, it looked like it had been there for 20-25 minutes. I guess my sleeping self objected to the higher pressure.

My machine is a straight CPAP, not an auto. I suppose I was hoping to gather enough data to convince my sleep doctor that I need an auto machine.

It's hard for me to see how a straight CPAP machine is going to be a good thing. The machine I have now is not paid for. If my sleep doctor agrees, I could switch it for an auto machine.

When you said that I should only do the trial for a week, did you realize that the machine is straight CPAP?

Your point and Vaughan's is good, though, to remind me that I have a limited number of days for the trial. It's 30 days for my machine.

Thanks for your comments.

I will add more graphs later today. (I forgot to put the SD card back in my machine last night. I put it back in this morning then checked the data in SleepyHead, but there was no flow rate data, so I guess I'll have to wait for the machine to write the data to the card.)

(03-27-2016, 06:33 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi green wings,
I am curious to see what pressure the trial mode will reset you at. It wouldn't surprise me to see it settle somewhere between 10 and 11.

vsheline is correct with his thinking in ending the trial after 7 days, and to raise the max pressure a little higher to see what the machine will do.

Please post back here to let us know.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for looking at my data. I am definitely going to increase the pressure to 16.0 for tonight.

My machine isn't paid for. I am hoping that the data from this trial in auto mode will convince my sleep doctor to prescribe an auto machine for me.

My machine allows a max of thirty days in auto trial mode, so I take your point about not using up all the trial days if I think I might need them later.

I will post graphs from my other trial days later today.

(03-26-2016, 10:40 PM)vsheline Wrote: Hi green wings,

Looks like 9 is a good minimum number. I suggest raising the Max Pressure to 16 to give the trial room to go higher if it wants to.

If the machine is your permanent machine, I suggest ending the trial after a week. I think the total days used in trial mode may be limited to 30.

If that is true, you will want to save most of the time in APAP Trial Mode for later years. Like maybe a week per year.

Look in the User Manual and Provider Manual to find out if there are limitations on how many total days APAP Trial Mode can be used, after which it might never be able to be used again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I knew from your profile that your 60 Series Pro was a straight cpap machine. I just wasn't sure how long of an ATrial the machine allowed, but I think it probably is 30 days.
I've always been an advocate for Auto machine. I think you have to make the case to your doc that you will have to use this machine for a long time and your needs may change.
I can't see why your doctor would not write a script for an APAP. Make the argument that you can always reset it to CPAP mode.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh okay. That makes sense and it isn't complicated. Thanks Thanks, OpalRose.

I think I'm going to put the machine back in fixed mode for now. The higher pressures (I suppose) are really doing a number on my torso.

I still plan to post more graphs from the auto trial when I'm feeling better.

(03-27-2016, 09:49 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, I knew from your profile that your 60 Series Pro was a straight cpap machine. I just wasn't sure how long of an ATrial the machine allowed, but I think it probably is 30 days.
I've always been an advocate for Auto machine. I think you have to make the case to your doc that you will have to use this machine for a long time and your needs may change.
I can't see why your doctor would not write a script for an APAP. Make the argument that you can always reset it to CPAP mode.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 33 49 minutes ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 237 8 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 578 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.