Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP and SH disagree on AHI
Rrelevant to all of this is the concept of "bit rot", where things stored in memory (either RAM or on a recording medium) are affected by, you guessed it, cosmic rays.

For the surface area of a 2.5" HDD, a cosmic ray penetrates through that and can potentially "flip a bit" (change a one to a zero or vice versa) every 8 seconds. Its a minor change, but it is real and documented. It becomes a problem cumulatively, and after enough time passes (after enough cosmic rays penetrate) it can corrupt a file.

There is no real way to shield against that, because cosmic rays penetrate everything; its not that they are so powerful as to brute-force their way through (on the contrary) it is more that they are so tiny that they can avoid hitting most molecules or atoms in a solid object, sort of like the way objects in space are so far apart that they seldom collide.

In a PC it is more a factor of memory leak, which is an app design flaw, common to Windows PCs (but mostly cured in modern versions of the OS).

3 days now, and numbers agree; seems like I made the right move here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)? dosco 10 127 Today, 08:39 AM
Last Post: dosco
  Ramblings about CPAP to APAP?, and stuff. Podd 24 825 03-21-2017, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Podd
  APAP Prescribed for Central Sleep Apnea? NeverRested 14 733 02-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Last Post: mymontreal
Information Newbie APAP Equipment Trial Journal Snoopy.pa30 12 590 02-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Snoopy.pa30
Wink Recently started APAP, best decision for my health I've ever made. Moonlight Graham 12 503 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Moonlight Graham
Wink Recently started APAP, best decision for my health I've ever made. Moonlight Graham 4 183 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Moonlight Graham
  New APAP Decisions to be made Snoopy.pa30 14 551 02-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Snoopy.pa30