Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP and SH disagree on AHI
APAP and SH disagree on AHI

My routine is to wake up, press the button on my APAP to get a general reading, then a bit later pull everything into Sleepyhead. Been doing that a long time. Never have the numbers disagreed.

Today my APAP gave an AHI reading of 1.6, while SH says 2.35. I do not include the "test" events in the total. I did not cross the "12 PM" boundary.

What's up with that? Anyone experience anything like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP and SH disagree on AHI
I never cared much about the LCD screen readouts on my PRS1, but compare my SH scores with my EncoreBasic scores. They have been aligned each time I checked. My LCD screen has totally diff numbers, sometimes higher sometimes lower.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try ResScan and compare with SH.
Has to be some other form of respiratory arousal that SH is counting in the total.

My LCD is always right on with reporting SW.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2015, 05:17 PM)justMongo Wrote: Try ResScan and compare with SH.
Has to be some other form of respiratory arousal that SH is counting in the total.

My LCD is always right on with reporting SW.

Well, if the Autoset and SH are counting different types of events, then it would have to have been a coincidence every night for 6 months in a row that the numbers still added up to the same total; astronomically impossible.

If SH is counting anything other than the common three types of events in AHI (and it is not counting the experimental events as that is turned off in the prefs), it sure is doing it opaquely.

But then some of this stuff may be obvious, yet still opaque to me. I am still not sure what triggers certain pressure changes in my APAP; the SH graphs don't seem to reveal anything that connects.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, it happened again. Again the Autoset gave the lower reading (1.8) while SH gave the higher reading (2.88). If I do the math, SH is correct according to the number of events it flagged, for AHI as well as for the three individual indexes.

The Autoset is also reporting that I slept (or ran the blower) for 24.0 hours. Nuh-uh, that didn't happen. And if it had, that would mean that its calculated AHI, if accurate to the flagged events over time, would be more like 0.7. So, wrong on both counts.

So something funny is going on here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2015, 12:46 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: OK, it happened again. Again the Autoset gave the lower reading (1.8) while SH gave the higher reading (2.88). If I do the math, SH is correct according to the number of events it flagged, for AHI as well as for the three individual indexes.

The Autoset is also reporting that I slept (or ran the blower) for 24.0 hours. Nuh-uh, that didn't happen. And if it had, that would mean that its calculated AHI, if accurate to the flagged events over time, would be more like 0.7. So, wrong on both counts.

The time period (number of days included in the summary statistics sleep report) is adjustable.

So perhaps settings for the number of days are different between the machine versus SH?

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2015, 12:46 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: OK, it happened again. Again the Autoset gave the lower reading (1.8) while SH gave the higher reading (2.88). If I do the math, SH is correct according to the number of events it flagged, for AHI as well as for the three individual indexes.

I'm not laughing.

I think you are looking at the LCD screen that says "Sleep Report."
It can be set for 1 day or 7 days or 30 days... That's not the one to look at.
It's normally set to 30 days... I am guessing it's set to 1 day.

The report screen you want is called "Sleep Quality." (Has the smiley face, says "last night" -- has number of hours "usage" and the AHI for that period.

How about you pull out your digital camera, put it in macro mode; and shoot a photo of the screen you're looking at.
And, post it.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
"Sleep Quality" is what I always have been looking at; one button press on the Autoset, includes smiley for mask fit. I am only looking at one day at a time in SH as well.

So I rebooted the damned thing. Unpowered it for an hour. Today the numbers matched. Makes sense; I have yet to see anything using a microprocessor that didn't need a swift kick in the pants now and then. I once left my old PowerPC-based MacBook up for something like 187 days and it still worked perfectly, but then I needed to upgrade the SW, so that is the record so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2015, 01:06 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: So I rebooted the damned thing. Unpowered it for an hour. Today the numbers matched. Makes sense; I have yet to see anything using a microprocessor that didn't need a swift kick in the pants now and then

Same here. I have to reboot my router every so often. I have a friend who never shutdown his Windows based computer -- just let it sleep at night. Eventually a bit error will creep into any system. He'd call and say, "My mouse pointer won't move." And, I would tell him to "hold the power button on for 4 seconds."

We're getting to the point in microelectronics where a bit state is represented by a charge of the order of 100 electrons. A cosmic ray can create that many electron-hole pairs in a bit volume.

Actually, cosmic ray induced upsets have been a design factor in space environments since about 1975 when Binder, Smith and Holman published their paper. IEEE TNS Vol. 22, #6
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2015, 01:06 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: So I rebooted the damned thing. Unpowered it for an hour. Today the numbers matched. Makes sense; I have yet to see anything using a microprocessor that didn't need a swift kick in the pants now and then. I once left my old PowerPC-based MacBook up for something like 187 days and it still worked perfectly, but then I needed to upgrade the SW, so that is the record so far.

It would seem that the S9 has some undocumented features(bugs). I had to do a total power down to get the Climateline to work in the auto mode after I had it in the manual mode and reset it back to auto.

On a side note: I have a computer running phone attendant software in DOS at a client site that was started in 1997 and hasn't gone down yet. . . Now that I said this, it's probably the kiss of death for it.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 490 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 376 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 548 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 193 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.