Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP and central apnea
RE: APAP and central apnea
(08-13-2014, 02:43 PM)Ghandi Wrote: We dont want to overcorrect your apnea".

Excuse me? How would you do that exactly? Get an AHI of -4 or something? Maybe the machine will require you to give a few back? I'm not understanding that too well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rigth !! then i would say like, well the less apnea i have the best it is for me. And then they play the tape of "You know m.ghandi even ppl without apnea have episode and would be around 2 ahi"

Then i brought up that some part of the nights it would raise to 10 episodes in the same they dismiss that with the whats is important is the ahi for the complete night. So lets say i do apneas when im in REM they would probably feel better that i dont enter rem too much so my ahi remains low and they dont have to adress that.

There was also the my OA are sometimes over 40 seconds and i'm concerned with that. But they played the tape again. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 02:43 PM)Ghandi Wrote: They have a cassette playing "Well your ahi is under five so you therapy is ok, there is no need to change. We dont want to overcorrect your apnea".

Heck, you're lucky. They usually just check compliance and say you're OK. i.e. "you're OK" means insurance will pay and the cash register will ring.

If you want a better pressure setting, that's not up to the DME, it's up to the doctor.

However, it sounds like you're going to have to put your therapy management into the hands of Dr. Gandi.

As for "overcorrecting," if, for instance, they increased your pressure to make a small change in AHI, you might have increased problems with centrals, gas, leaks, etc. That doesn't mean they're doing the right thing, but changes shouldn't be done haphazardly. It's one of the risks of adjusting your own pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
archangle i agree. I only removed the confort setting of c-flex + for a night and i winded up having a lot of mouth leaks.
Sometimes better is the ennemy of best Smile So the changes must be made with caution.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 03:47 PM)Ghandi Wrote: archangle i agree. I only removed the confort setting of c-flex + for a night and i winded up having a lot of mouth leaks.
Sometimes better is the ennemy of best Smile So the changes must be made with caution.

One great thing about a fully data capable machine is that you can tinker and see the results right away. That's true whether it's you or the doctor.

Sometimes, if you eliminate Flex, you can reduce the pressure setting.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was eleminating flex to see if it would lower my hypopneas. And because it felt like i was increasing pressure without touching the setting and not getting grounded by the DME threatening to tell the doctor.

It think it lowered my hypopneas that nigth. I may fiddle with it a bit when i can stabelize my sleep position.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 11:51 AM)Ghandi Wrote: Well it looks like i would have been better served with an auto-pap. But i just purcharsed my machine 2 months ago, so i'm going to be stuck with it for 5 years before i can try auto-pap.

Actually, since you have failed treatment with the first machine, with a new sleep study on a servo machine AND the EXACT correct wording by the doctor to show that the new machine is medically necessary insurance should cover an ASV-BiPAP. The key is to have doctor's notes showing failure of regular BiPAP treatment, sleep study on ASV-BiPAP and prescription showing that the new machine is medically necessary to treat your condition.
Cindy
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting Cindy
But by the standards i totally comply. I sleep with the machine everyday from 7 to 8 hours and my ahi is lower than 5. 1.0 AHI.
Also hey , i am Canadian.

whats the difference between Cpap and asv?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry Ghandi. I read the first few posts and thought that you were being treated for the obstructive (with BiPAP) but not central apnea (with a servo machine). (That's my story -I'm extra sensitive to that issue!)

I'm so happy that your condition is under control! I love reading about successful treatment!

The respiratory therapist told me that she had lots of patients with central apnea on regular BiPAP. My new sleep doctor said that if central are caused by the therapy (as opposed to 100% plain central sleep apnea) BiPAP will only make it worse. I thought that the respiratory therapist was a little bit wrong, but I don't know the stories of her patients.

CPAP basically has the one pressure which is constant (my ResMed S9 has the EPR setting which can lower the expiratory pressure by 3). BiPAP allows for a large variation between inspiratory and expiratory pressure. BiPAP with ASV (auto servo ventilation) measures your respiration and changes the pressure according to the pattern of how you should be breathing. It follows your normal breathing such that if on the third breath you only inhale 1/4 of normal, it will deliver the other 3/4. So, it is much more than just the two different ppressures of regular BiPAP.
Cindy
Post Reply Post Reply
So you have a bipap and it's causing you central apnea episodes?
When i asked for bipap the DME told me they did't used it for sleep apnea. They reacted so strongly, like i was out of my mind to even mention the word bipap. So i backed off.
BiPAP with ASV (auto servo ventilation) seems to be marvellous. I'm just a little more irritated that it wasnt suggested to me at all.

I'm complaning but the cpap changed my life. I'm a new man
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,513 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 538 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.