Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP and central apnea
RE: APAP and central apnea
Ghandi,
I have both central and obstructive events without therapy. The CPAP made the central worse, and didn't fix the obstructive enough. I switched to regular BiPAP and the obstructive got better but the central got even worse. I've had a prescription for a BiPAP ASV since the beginning of May but I haven't been able to get a DME to actually get a hold of one in order to sell one to me. (I have been through a few. I think that they have to get someone to invent it or refine the plastic used in it or something. ) Insurance has said "no problem" to coverage - they have the documentation.
It's amazing what the DME will try to tell us. BiPAP isn't used for apnea? You are lucky enough to have been treated successfully with the equipment they issued you. Next time you'll be more confident in dealing with the DME.
Cindy
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 05:05 PM)CynthiaMueller Wrote: I've had a prescription for a BiPAP ASV since the beginning of May but I haven't been able to get a DME to actually get a hold of one in order to sell one to me. (I have been through a few. I think that they have to get someone to invent it or refine the plastic used in it or something. ) Insurance has said "no problem" to coverage - they have the documentation.

Hi Cindy,

That's amazing. Maybe you can call your insurance company and ask them to identify a DME who can dispense the unit to you. Or ask if you can buy on line and be reimbursed at same rate as if using an in-network DME because you have been unable to locate a DME in your area which will supply the machine.

Hurry, or you may need to start all over again because pre-authorizations are only good for a few months, and then another ASV titration may be required or something like that.

Make sure you get either the newer S9 VPAP Adapt REF# 36037 (NOT older S9 VPAP Adapt REF# 36007 or 36017 if including Humidifier or 36027 if including Humidifier and heated hose, which had ASV mode but did not have the new ASVauto mode), or the PRS1 DS960 with heated humidifier AND HEATED HOSE).

Best of luck,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 11:29 AM)Ghandi Wrote: BiPAP with ASV (auto servo ventilation) seems to be marvellous. I'm just a little more irritated that it wasnt suggested to me at all.

Hi Ghandi,

In USA most insurance companies will not pay for the (much more expensive) ASV type of bi-level machine unless the patient is already being treated with CPAP or APAP or ordinary bi-level machine AND the nightly Central Apnea Index is both above 5 AND is higher than the Obstructive Apnea Index, AND a special ASV titration is done and shows ASV treatment works well for the patient. AND some US insurance companies require AHI to be greater than 5.0, others greater than 10.0, others greater than 15.0 when patient is using their present (non-ASV) machine.

Congratulations on your good success with CPAP + C-Flex.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2014, 08:09 AM)Ghandi Wrote: Oh god, i regret not paying that extra 150$ for the apap option. That way i could have asked to try apap at some point. Now it's too late Sad. At least for the next 5 years.

Not really. You can shop around for a good used machine, for example on craigslist. You'll find that a back up machine is a must-have because any machine can fail at any time and leave you stranded.

For example, that's how I found my VPAP Auto, and it's much better than the fixed pressure BiPAP prescribed by my doctor.

Just keep your eye on the advertisements, keep some cash on hand, and be ready to act fast. When a good deal comes up on craigslist it goes fast. On a Friday night I saw an ad that had been posted that afternoon. I called the seller and the next morning, after a 45-minute drive, I was at his house. As I was leaving he was texting someone else to tell him not to bother coming because he had sold both machines to me. An Autoset and the VPAP Auto. It was too good of a deal to pass up!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 11:29 AM)Ghandi Wrote: When i asked for bipap the DME told me they did't used it for sleep apnea. They reacted so strongly, like i was out of my mind to even mention the word bipap. So i backed off.

Your DME is trying to protect his profit margins.

Bilevel is mostly for people who have trouble exhaling against the CPAP pressure.

Bilevel may improve or worsen central apnea. It's cheaper than an ASV unit. ASV is also uncomfortable for many people to get used to. It's worth trying bilevel as long as you monitor the results and see whether centrals go up or go down.

Some people definitely need the ASV, though.

Ghandi, how high are your AHI and CAI numbers?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
CynthiaMueller well i hope you can get your asv machine and find a proper DME if that exists. I would call the insurrance like vsheline proposed

vsheline There is the medical mafia and the insurance is not any better Smile. my therapy is succefull but i wish i could eliminate the couple of long events that are probably causing desaturation.

Sleepster This is super idea and i have been thinking about it for an auto-pap. i cant get myself to sleep with used medical equipment. I may be a chicken but i'm really scared something bad could happen if the item is not working properply(and this could be the reason of the sale). The cpap shop is still a security blanket at this point for me. Maybe i will get more confident but for now i cant do it. Thx for the advice though. How is your Vpap therapy going? Do you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or just osa?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 09:17 PM)archangle Wrote:
(08-16-2014, 11:29 AM)Ghandi Wrote: When i asked for bipap the DME told me they did't used it for sleep apnea. They reacted so strongly, like i was out of my mind to even mention the word bipap. So i backed off.

Your DME is trying to protect his profit margins.

Bilevel is mostly for people who have trouble exhaling against the CPAP pressure.

Bilevel may improve or worsen central apnea. It's cheaper than an ASV unit. ASV is also uncomfortable for many people to get used to. It's worth trying bilevel as long as you monitor the results and see whether centrals go up or go down.

Some people definitely need the ASV, though.

Ghandi, how high are your AHI and CAI numbers?

Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 1.33
Obstructive Apnea Index 0.49
Hypopnea Index 0.68
Clear Airway Apnea Index 0.16

But when i sleep on with a backpack to prevent sleeping on my back it lowers AHI to .7 .8. I have more obstructive than central apneas.

i suffer from chronic rhinitis. So i have 20mg zyrtec and nasonex daily to be able to use the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 09:30 PM)Ghandi Wrote: Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 1.33
Hypopnea Index 0.68

But when i sleep on with a backpack to prevent sleeping on my back it lowers AHI to .7 .8. I have more obstructive than central apneas.

i suffer from chronic rhinitis. So i have 20mg zyrtec and nasonex daily to be able to use the cpap.

1.33 AHI is just fine as numbers go. Unless you're having other problems, be happy.

Centrals are not necessarily more harmful than obstructives, just harder to eliminate. Look at your data, and see what the apneas look like. Unless they're really long, be happy.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 02:14 AM)archangle Wrote:
(08-16-2014, 09:30 PM)Ghandi Wrote: Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 1.33
Hypopnea Index 0.68

1.33 AHI is just fine as numbers go. Unless you're having other problems, be happy.

Centrals are not necessarily more harmful than obstructives, just harder to eliminate. Look at your data, and see what the apneas look like. Unless they're really long, be happy.

What do you consider really long ?
I may buy an oxineter to check desaturation.

Yesterday i had 1.78

Hypopnea 0.89
Obstructive Apnea 0.51
Clear Airway Apnea 0.38

The longest event was 26 seconds. But some nights i have 40 and 45 seconds apnea. so would that be too long?

My theory is that when i'm sleeping on my back the pressure is not high enough to treat some of the OAs.

I have ben using the cpap for over 3 months now. Overtime will it(number of envents and lenght)decreae with me getting used to get therapy?

The thing i'm happy about i that i have no problem sleeping with the machine. As a matter of fact i like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 10:35 AM)Ghandi Wrote: What do you consider really long ?
I may buy an oxineter to check desaturation.

Yesterday i had 1.78

Hypopnea 0.89
Obstructive Apnea 0.51
Clear Airway Apnea 0.38

The longest event was 26 seconds. But some nights i have 40 and 45 seconds apnea. so would that be too long?

My theory is that when i'm sleeping on my back the pressure is not high enough to treat some of the OAs.

I have ben using the cpap for over 3 months now. Overtime will it(number of envents and lenght)decreae with me getting used to get therapy?

The thing i'm happy about i that i have no problem sleeping with the machine. As a matter of fact i like it.

30 or 40 is relatively long, but not enormously long. Some people go 120 seconds or longer. Do you stop breathing entirely or do you breathe a little?

Sit down, preferably in a recliner, or lay down. Get calm, relax, inhale and exhale regularly for a while. Take a normal breath in and hold it for that number of seconds if you can. See how hard it is to hold it for that long. Remember that it will be less stressful to do this in your sleep. Consider how many times a night you do this in various lengths of time.

I think most doctors will look at AHI<5 and say you're OK. I"m not sure I'd disagree unless your apneas were a lot longer.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,524 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.