Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP better than CPAP for REM Apnea?
RE: APAP better than CPAP for REM Apnea?
Apnea Infant, I want to encourage you to persevere. Like Sleeprider mentioned, I started out with 19-23 pressure - it was like a tornado blowing in my face. I wore it 7-8 hours a night anyway; I got used to it; I had high leaks - I tried different masks. By listening to Sleeprider and others on here who advised me, I am now on an auto machine - the pressure usually runs the highest at 13-17 but mostly lower; I have very little leaks. It took a few months, but I wore it anyway - every night, all night - even through an acute upper respiratory infection in week 1.
You can do it. You will be better for it. Before cpap, I used to get up 2-3 times a night to the bathroom, and I slept lousy - felt like I laid awake for hours. Now I sleep for 7-8 hours and very rarely get up to the bathroom during the night.
Listen to what the experienced users are telling you. I knew nothing about this 3 months ago, and I was handed a machine to use. I have learned so much from the people on here and they helped me tweak my treatment to be the best for me.. Nothing beats someone analyzing your nightly sleepyhead data and helping you know what to do!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just managed to download SD card data onto sleepyhead on another computer with SD card slot.

So here goes, my readings from last night.......
http://imgur.com/a/tmrWN
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also managed to download general data from last month, i.e. since I started on this journey.........

http://imgur.com/a/tmrWN

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I'm seeing here, you are safe to reduce pressure. I'm certain it would help with the P10, but even with what you're using now, you have very low obstructive events, and I suspect you are over-titrated (over-pressure).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 10:06 AM)Grmato10 Wrote: Apnea Infant, I want to encourage you to persevere. Like Sleeprider mentioned, I started out with 19-23 pressure - it was like a tornado blowing in my face.  I wore it 7-8 hours a night anyway; I got used to it; I had high leaks - I tried different masks.  By listening to Sleeprider and others on here who advised me, I am now on an auto machine - the pressure usually runs the highest at 13-17 but mostly lower;  I have very little leaks.  It took a few months, but I wore it anyway - every night, all night - even through an acute upper respiratory infection in week 1.
You can do it.  You will be better for it.  Before cpap, I used to get up 2-3 times a night to the bathroom, and I slept lousy - felt like I laid awake for hours.  Now I sleep for 7-8 hours and very rarely get up to the bathroom during the night.  
Listen to what the experienced users are telling you.  I knew nothing about this 3 months ago, and I was handed a machine to use. I have learned so much from the people one here and they helped me tweak my treatment to be the best for me.. Nothing beats someone analyzing your nightly sleepyhead data and helping you know what to do!

Thanks for that encouragement Grmato, it means a lot.

Thanks Sleeprider-I really appreciate your advice for me and others on here. I am now about to turn the lights off with EPR 2, Auto ramp, CPAP 12 and cervical collar.

Feel better and more confident with being able to read data and have tonight assessed.

Lets see what tonight brings.........good night guys.

Post Reply Post Reply
Update from last night......unfortunately am not able to download from SD card just yet but am able to report from Resmed MyAir

Score - total 95!!
7.09 usage        - 70/70..........auto ramp and lower pressure aids sleep
Good mask seal - 20/20..........cervical collar doing good job
3 mask on/off   -  3/5
13.9 events/hour - 2/5............need to increase pressure to reduce apnea events

However was able to sleep for 3.5 hours initially but then the hose started making this clicking noise on inhalation for about 2 hours during I think I was mostly awake. Then slept again solidly till 7 o'clock.

Can feel effect of the high level of Apneas last night so will raise pressure to 13 tonight. Sleep last night was better but more Apnea events

Will report on tonight tomorrow.

Post Reply Post Reply
It would be interesting to see the Sleepyhead data, but I think you're on the right track. You have to sleep to benefit at all from the therapy, so the lower pressure resulted in fewer therapy breaks and longer use. That's probably a win. Increasing to 13 cm makes sense, assuming events are obstructive. Remember, the point of all this is to improve your sleep. AHI is really not the priority when you have a lot of sleep disruption and breaks in therapy. Increase the pressure, but give this some time to work. I would really like to see a daily detail chart to see the pattern of the events. You may be a candidate for positional therapy as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I would turn the ramp off as soon as you can. That 45 minutes is a big lump out of your treatment, when you wake up as often. I would increase the ramp pressure by 1cm a night.
You honestly will get use to the pressure. I run 15-20 and I can't tell if the machine is on when I wake up.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input guys.

Lights off last night @ 10.30, awoke at 5.30 am this morning. Too early even to report from Resmed MyAir Reports. My USB SD card reader is on order as not so easy to borrow that computer with SD reading facilities.

I was very tired yesterday at 12 cmH2O albeit with less sleep disruption the night before. Also recognised the Apnea bags under my eyes first thing yesterday morning so it did not surprise me to discover 13.9 events. So this was almost similar to when I had no therapy. Indeed sleepyhead info would be informative and available soon.

I feel better this morning but decided to put pressure up to 14 last night. Bought new climate line tube and P10 from Resmed shop. Will use P10 tonight as 14 was blowy again and disturbed me more with FFM albeit I managed always to return to sleep with Autoramp on. Jack, I stopped ramp time of 45 minutes on advice from Sleeprider and am the better for it. Also min pressure is now at 8.

It does feel empowering to be in charge of my own therapy-must say I am only 'brave' enough to do it with you guys advising and with confirmation of SD card details from Sleepyhead.

My overnight sleep study concluded I had REM sleep apnea and required 20 cmH2O. Is the REM sleep period indicated by the sleep data?

What is positional therapy, Sleeprider? Do you mean my sleep position literally? If so, I do sleep supine mainly. I actually feel my chin dropping down as I drop off but have been prevented by the cervical collar last 2 nights. I used to drop off to sleep on my side but will wake up supine. However since therapy, I have been on my back as the mask leaks furiously when I am on my side.

Well, will report MyAir reports later.........must get ready for work.

Much thanks again guys................

Post Reply Post Reply
You mention that you have REM stage apnea. It would be so much more appropriate for you to have an auto CPAP that delivered higher pressure when you need it, then reduced pressure at other times. This is something to bring up with your doctor so that when this machine is ultimately replaced, he has it in his notes that auto CPAP might be a better choice. Your pressure needs seem to change through the night, so auto is better.

I look forward to your report with the P10 pillows. I think you will find the lower pressure goes further with this than the full face.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,416 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.