Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP causing TMJ
APAP causing TMJ
I've been using an APAP machine since 9/16. I went to the dentist yesterday. My lower jaw is now protruding past my upper jaw, my teeth are out of alignment and I have severe TMJ in my left jaw. Can I sue RESMED or my STUPID DOCTOR for this??Doctor-no-get-it  

I'll have to get a Jaw device to fix my teeth and jaw.  Hammer  I'm really P*ssed about this after spending gazillions to have braces years ago. All that effort down the tubes and I can't chew anything!!!!  Plus my face mask makes my nose itch every night so I have to take it on and off.  

Hate-cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP causing TMJ
You won't win even if you sue. You don't have any proof that APAP was the cause. I think you might have to accept that some other medical reason caused the TMJ.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Please connect the dots for me and explain your theory as to how your CPAP pressure (which you list as unknown) which pressure splints your airway, has allegedly caused TMJ. I'm curious because I have not heard this before.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a known side effect of XPAP. 

There was a study in of 46 Japanese men. Conclusion the use if  nCpap machine for >2 years may change craniofacial form by reducing maxillary and mandibular prominence and/or  by altering the relationship of the dental arches.  

I need to be on my computer to post the full abstract or you can search craniofacial changes after 2 years
 Of nasal continuous positive airway pressure use in patients with OSA
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
From a biomechanical point of view, I could see TMJ being caused by tightening the headgear straps too much. To my mind, it would be a very bad idea for any xPAPer to organize the headgear straps in such a way as to bind the facial muscles or the jaw joint.

Just from my short time on xPAP, it's very clear to me that utmost care should be taken when selecting a mask so that the headgear jams the jaw joints or prevents the muscles from slacking.

Also, IME, having braces as a kid or as an adult doesn't at all remove you from the possibility of TMJ or a shifting jaw. It may, in fact, cause them.

Plus, the way you position your face in sleep can also lessen or augment the likelihood that you will have jaw problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not see any way that an APAP, CPAP could possibly cause TMJ.  On the other-hand I can easily see how a mask, chin strap, or possibly a cervical collar could.  

Many users, IMHO, overtighten their masks.  This would create excessive pressure on either the upper or lower jaw.  The ideal fit for a mask is just floating on the face with the straps just holding it there.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
My understanding of the problem is that the strap holding my mask on has caused the jaw to shift. (per dentist).

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Kall,
I believe you about the strap causing the problem. But it won't fly in a lawsuit. They'll say you didn't adjust the straps according to instructions and that there are plenty of videos showing the proper way to fit a mask. You have to be able to prove that the straps were faulty or that you were instructed wrong on how to use it. Pretty hard to prove.
Sorry it happened to you and hope others will read this and take precautions not to over tighten the straps.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the helpful responses.  

I was wearing a full mask and the straps go in back of my neck. I have also had Chiari Malformation Decompression so part of my skull and vertebra have been removed. It is very uncomfortable for me to wear the mask as it makes my neck hurt also. 

I saw my Sleep Apnea doctor today. He is an ASS.  Hammer 

I'm going to find another doctor. He asked me what I expected him to do about it. He has no bedside manner. Commented on my only getting 5 hours sleep a night and this wasn't enough. 

DUH! That is because the mask makes my nose itch, I get congested, sneeze, have to take it off, etc. It is a nightmare!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep the straps as loose as possible. If they are too loose, the mask leaks and makes leaking noises. Believe me, I do not tighten them anymore than I have to to keep the damn thing on!! 

Thanks for the feedback!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 41 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.