Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP causing TMJ
RE: APAP causing TMJ
Have you tried a more minimalistic mask like a nasal pillow mask?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kall,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP therapy. I hope you are able to find a sleep doc that will listen to you and be more attentive, or you might consider seeing if your regular doc can take over your sleep apnea care.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!!

I have a new mask that is very minimal and not full. No strap across the neck. So will see how it works.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
"My lower jaw is now protruding past my upper jaw, my teeth are out of alignment and I have severe TMJ in my left jaw. Can I sue RESMED or my STUPID DOCTOR for this??"

Seriously, cpap mask is not going to cause mandibular prognatism.
An overtightened mask might cause temporary tmj pain.

This makes no sense at all. Sorry that you are having issues and pain, look elsewhere. Have a talk about that with your dentist.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that you will never win a lawsuit against resmed,
and that your doctor isn't stupid.

You have a negative attitude and it's not going to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2018, 04:57 PM)Kall Wrote: My understanding of the problem is that the strap holding my mask on has caused the jaw to shift. (per dentist).

Thank you!

There are many designs of masks and headgear, so the cause would be on you, not the treatment. Your dentist could have said something sooner, though.

Oops...I now see you are trying a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was pushing my upper teeth forward. The spacing became noticeably wider. A new upper night guard and a light lower night guard provide additional support to resist the movement. But further analysis determined the source of the problem. I raised my headgear about 1/4 of an inch, using a foldback clip to do this. This was the big one. A lesser problem is that I sleep on my stomach, although this one is harder to fix because it is a habit I have to break.

The new mask might solve 100% of your problem, but if it doesn't try experimenting with things like your sleep position, or positioning of the mask

And pay daily attention to what is going on with your jaw and teeth and your bite. Then you can address problems before they become severe.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
New mask: just sits under the nose and pumps air in- major problem: I wake up coughing and gagging with my mouth all dried out, especially the roof of my mouth. Am I using it wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be helpful if you told us what mask you are using. Also, a more complete profile aids us in answering your questions.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more question: my Asshat Doctor basically told me that I have sleep apnea because I am overweight (he has a massive beer belly).  I was under the impression that it was due to my chin being receding. I’m sure that being overweight doesn’t help. I recently went off Prednisone I was taking for my Chiari inflammation, which caused my face and neck to balloon and messed up my blood sugar.. so I currently have balloon face. I’ve probably had sleep apnea for over 20 years as I know I’ve struggled to breathe when laying on a flat bed with only one pillow. My point is that it has more to do with weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
ReaMed. AirSense 10. Ramp time Auto. Tube temp 61. New Mask is Phillips Respironics which has a head strap where tube goes in the top of your head and one strap goes in back of head. I don’t know name of it as they didn’t give me any package- this is a loaner. It only sits below the nose and pumps air in. If I open my mouth while it is going I get a rush of air coming out of my mouth.  So if I start coughing, air gushes in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 218 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,626 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,220 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 144 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 222 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 911 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.