Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP mechanical reliability
APAP mechanical reliability
Hi everyone. New to this forum and would very much value your advice.
I currently use a set pressure machine but need a new one.
I was going to upgrade to an auto machine UNTIL my hubby asked about whether the more features, settings and controls would make it more likely to fail or need repairs? $3000+ for a new machine is a lot of money so I'd love your feedback on most reliable for my money. .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP mechanical reliability
Hi littleblackduck, welcome to the forum
Any machine can fail or something goes wrong, new machine comes with two years warranty. The advantage of auto-PAP can be used in either APAP or CPAP modes and cost few dollars more than data capable fixed pressure CPAP. $3000 sound bit steep, where about are you

Machines choices wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I'm in Brisbane, Australia. It all seems very overpriced!
Just to get my current machine QUOTED on for repair would cost $150!
My health find allows $500 every 5 years *used to be 3. Warranties last only 2 years so I want to make the right choice!
I can see my husband's point of view that more bits mean more things to break down but I can't find any research to accept or reject his theory yet!
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day littleblackduck

Whoever quoted you $3000+ for an APAP is having a lend of you! Even with our inflated prices here in Oz you shouldn't pay more than about $2,400 for a complete Resmed package including humidifier mask and hose. Have a look at the supplier list (link at the top of the page) and shop around the Australian ones. I see Supplier No 13 has the current F&P Icon apap for $1700. Even better, look at buying the machine from the States and having it sent over - half price or better! Several of the suppliers on that list (eg No 10) will ship to Australia.

By the way, if you're satisfied with your fixed pressure machine, why are you considering an autoset? There's quite a big price difference here, but I see supplier no 10 actually has the Resmed S9 autoset cheaper than the (fixed pressure) S9 Elite. Weird, but a bargain.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paul. So glad I found this forum! Will go look at supplier list.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 05:39 AM)littleblackduck Wrote: Thanks Paul. So glad I found this forum! Will go look at supplier list.

You're welcome. BTW I just added some stuff to my post which may be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paul. Very glad I joined this forum!
Only considering auto as most medical advice says it is a better option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Little black duck, I agree with Deep breathing, I think your husband shouldn't be concerned with the mechanicals, it is more whether you want a data capable CPAP or not and whether you want the comfort features of an auto versus a straight CPAP. A friend of mine bought an Elite without humidifier for less than $1,000. If you get it from Australia you can normally get the insurance rebate but if you get it from overseas you can't. Most of the time it is cheaper to get it from overseas and forget about insurance. Let us know what you end up with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both Zonk and Tez62.
The local sleep clinic had always warned me away from buying online or overseas... advised that online quite often will supply reconditioned machines and if overseas the data reading software may not be compatible.
But- even with the little bit of reading I have done on this forum I now tend to think it was just a sales pitch.
I will let you know what I decide on Smile
Great article about which ones to avoid.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2014, 05:21 AM)littleblackduck Wrote: I can see my husband's point of view that more bits mean more things to break down but I can't find any research to accept or reject his theory yet!
Sorry his theory do not hold water, take ResMed S9 AutoSet (not S9 Escape Auto) and S9 Elite as an example
Both machines looks the same and have exactly same features but the AutoSet can do both modes ... APAP and CPAP ... two machines in one

S9 Escape might looks the same but does not report any useful data other than how many hours using each night. Knowing your AHI on PAP and whether your mask fit is good and leak rate within an acceptable range is essential for effective therapy, not some fancy stuff or unimportant features

If were me, I would get gently used machine from Supplier #2, either ResMed S9 Autoset or phillips Respironcis System One Auto (cheaperthan S9 AutoSet) Machines are mullti-voltage, you only need plug adapter (US/Aus)

Some of our Australian forum members have bought machines from suppliers #2 and #10 (both ship overseas)
Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,227 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 154 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 227 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 645 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 135 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.