Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP pressure higher than CPAP
APAP pressure higher than CPAP
I just received my prescription after having my annual sleep study (review). My prescription has a fixed pressure of 14cmH2O, however I have been using an APAP machine and the onscreen sleep report tells me my pressure is around 17-19 every night.

Why are they so different? I thought the auto pressure would be lower.

Confused and concerned, as my pressure is set between 6-19 (my machine only goes up to 20). And I am still waking slightly tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP pressure higher than CPAP
You just got an RX. Why is it fixed if you are using an APAP? did you talk to your Dr about it?

6 - 19 is pretty wide open. You should be looking at your sleep report to see where you really need support and narrow it down a bit. Just because you hit 19 doesn't mean that is or should be your upper limit. Leaks and other reasons could cause that.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
What are your actual results? How many events, and what kind --- and at what pressure? The "Max Pressure" doesn't mean much, but the median and 95% are interesting.

How are you doing re: leaks?

What they determine in the sleep labs with their gear and their beds and their bedtime stories and their nighty night snacks may not have all the much influence on what you will experience at home. It's a good measure as a starting point, but your actual numbers in your own environment will vary. That's why a titrating machine such as your Autoset is so helpful.

You need to download and install the Sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page. That way you can see for yourself what your results are on a day-by-day basis and understand how all of this is working for you.

As to the "waking up slightly tired" thingy? It's probably too big an expectation the med world sometimes gives us that if we will just plug into one of these things we will instantly wake up giving "Tigger" a run for his money. We've had apnea for many years and restorative sleep is about correcting that damage, not making us instantly bouncy. But hang in there, and report back with some stats for us to munch on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 03:47 PM)krelvin Wrote: You just got an RX. Why is it fixed if you are using an APAP? did you talk to your Dr about it?

6 - 19 is pretty wide open. You should be looking at your sleep report to see where you really need support and narrow it down a bit. Just because you hit 19 doesn't mean that is or should be your upper limit. Leaks and other reasons could cause that.

I am not familiar with the term RX. The sleep clinic I have been going through insist on fixed pressure. They don't ever acknowledge that I am on auto, which I have been for 3 years!

I increased my upper limit to 19 because I was finding I was tired in the morning when I had it at 15.

I only have the onscreen report that doesn't show much. Can you please suggest a good software to use. I'm in Australia and there is absolutely no encouragement to handle it ourselves. Everything is about going to sleep centres for studies. Archaic!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 03:49 PM)retired_guy Wrote: What are your actual results? How many events, and what kind --- and at what pressure? The "Max Pressure" doesn't mean much, but the median and 95% are interesting.

How are you doing re: leaks?

What they determine in the sleep labs with their gear and their beds and their bedtime stories and their nighty night snacks may not have all the much influence on what you will experience at home. It's a good measure as a starting point, but your actual numbers in your own environment will vary. That's why a titrating machine such as your Autoset is so helpful.

You need to download and install the Sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page. That way you can see for yourself what your results are on a day-by-day basis and understand how all of this is working for you.

As to the "waking up slightly tired" thingy? It's probably too big an expectation the med world sometimes gives us that if we will just plug into one of these things we will instantly wake up giving "Tigger" a run for his money. We've had apnea for many years and restorative sleep is about correcting that damage, not making us instantly bouncy. But hang in there, and report back with some stats for us to munch on.

Thanks for the input. I'll check it out.

No leaks. I love my mask!

As for the tiredness, I have been using APAP for 3 years and while it is not the "complete fix", normally I feel like I have slept, whereas lately I am constantly tired again. A bit like before I started using it. Not quite as bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 03:56 PM)Mikaimee Wrote: I am not familiar with the term RX. The sleep clinic I have been going through insist on fixed pressure. They don't ever acknowledge that I am on auto, which I have been for 3 years!
℞ is a symbol meaning "prescription". It is sometimes transliterated as "Rx" or just "Rx". This symbol originated in medieval manuscripts as an abbreviation of the Late Latin verb recipe, the imperative form of recipere, "to take" or "take thus".

Quote:I increased my upper limit to 19 because I was finding I was tired in the morning when I had it at 15.

I only have the onscreen report that doesn't show much. Can you please suggest a good software to use. I'm in Australia and there is absolutely no encouragement to handle it ourselves. Everything is about going to sleep centres for studies. Archaic!
Just raising your pressure without actually seeing what is going on isn't going to help much normally. You need to see the numbers and charts to see what happens when the pressure goes up.

Sleephead and ResScan both work for data capable S9 units. All APAP's would be data capable.

[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 03:56 PM)Mikaimee Wrote: . . .
I am not familiar with the term RX. The sleep clinic I have been going through insist on fixed pressure. They don't ever acknowledge that I am on auto, which I have been for 3 years!

I increased my upper limit to 19 because I was finding I was tired in the morning when I had it at 15.

Hi Mikaimee,
Welcome to the forum!!

You are asking questions about your pressure, which can't be answered unless your machine is a "Full Data" model. In your profile, you are identified as using a ResMed S9, which identifies a family of machines, not a specific model. Here is a link to an area of the forum to help you identify your model:
http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ine-resmed

Please check out which model of S9 you have, and post it here (and update your profile), and we can then help you better.

If it turns out you have one of the S9 models that is fully data capable, then the SleepyHead software (see the link at the top of every forum page) can show you tons of information about your therapy and how well it is working.

Good luck in your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mikaimee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 03:36 PM)Mikaimee Wrote: I just received my prescription after having my annual sleep study (review). My prescription has a fixed pressure of 14cmH2O, however I have been using an APAP machine and the onscreen sleep report tells me my pressure is around 17-19 every night.

My best guess is that the machine is better at keeping your airway open than the sleep tech was.

If you're sleeping well and your AHI/RDI is low, I wouldn't worry about it.

Terry
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 08:05 AM)Terry Wrote:
(05-26-2015, 03:36 PM)Mikaimee Wrote: I just received my prescription after having my annual sleep study (review). My prescription has a fixed pressure of 14cmH2O, however I have been using an APAP machine and the onscreen sleep report tells me my pressure is around 17-19 every night.

My best guess is that the machine is better at keeping your airway open than the sleep tech was.

If you're sleeping well and your AHI/RDI is low, I wouldn't worry about it.

Terry

I'd have to agree with you. I had an awful night in the clinic. I had to tell him a couple of times that the pressure was too much and I was unable to sleep. Also, I am a side sleeper and he kept making me lay on my back, which I am led to believe can make a difference on your pressure and it gave me an awfully sore lower back come morning. The worst part is that every time he entered the room to tell me that, he would turn the overhead light on. Lovely way to wake up!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 573 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 104 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,417 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,148 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.