Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP to CPAP Issues
APAP to CPAP Issues
A brief history. I've battled insomnia for most of my adult life. I can fall asleep fairly quickly but wake up after 5ish hours and am unable to fall back to sleep. After a few years of trying various pills with no real success, my doctor sent me for a sleep study. The study indicated I had a 25 AHI. It was recommended that I apnea therapy right away.

I was loaned a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet in the middle of December. It was initially set for the range of 5 - 15. It took a few nights to adjust, but I immediately felt a HUGE improvement in my alertness throughout the say. I no longer felt tired or that I needed a nap at any point. I felt lucky that I took to the machine and saw a big improvement so quickly. While I still struggled to get more than 6-7 hours of sleep, I felt MUCH better than I had previously.

I returned for a second sleep study. A few weeks later, I received a call stating that they were adjusting the ResMed to CPAP mode with a setting of 5. That was three weeks ago. I have felt like absolute crap ever since then. I have fought to try and have the machine turned back into APAP mode, but to no avail. I had to return the loaner machine and was given an AirSense 10 Elite set to 5. I still feel like the machine is doing nothing for me. I begged for an AutoSet but was told that OHIP does not cover the APAP machines without a different prescription. 

I'm thinking of just purchasing an AutoSet with my own money so that I can return to feeling like I'm actually rested. The last three weeks have been brutal and frustrating. Am I crazy to spend the money for an AutoSet or should I try and find different pressure setting on the Elite to see if it will work?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: APAP to CPAP Issues
The Resmed Auto Set for her is classed as a CPAP see if you can get one of those. Otherwise download OSCAR and we can see how your doing on the Elite
Post Reply Post Reply
A pressure of 5 cmH20 is pretty low for an adult.
I think I managed two nights before I was searching on the internet as to how to change the settings.
It was like trying to drink a thick milkshake thru a straw.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first question is if your insurance company told you that you needed a different prescription for the APAP or the did the DME tell you. Years ago a DME told me that lie as it is probably the same code. You can call your insurance direct and find out. If they cover it, get some confirmation and go back to your DME.

You can also have your sleep doctor give you another prescription specifically for an Airsense 10 Autoset. Since you were setup with a pressure range on an APAP and were successful on it they can’t say you have not been titrated on it. Get a physical copy of the prescription to take to the DME.

If all else fails, look for an Airsense 10 Autoset on Craiglist, etc. I bought my S9 APAP direct from a private party.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
OHIP, as in Ontario Canada. They have (incorrectly, don't tell them) classified the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her as CPAP machine. Tell them that you want that CPAP machine.

I'm sure with viewing OSCAR we can optimize your settings on the elite.

In the meantime, call them and request that they change the settings because they are horrible and not working for you. Do it loud and often. Do remind them that the previous machine worked. And ask if you can have the other ResMed "CPAP" on the list the AutoSet for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Bonjour said. The Autoser for Her has been classified as a CPAP machine, and can be set up in CPAP mode. For some reason, Ontario Health decided a second sleep test for titration, meeting specific requirements, was cheaper than just paying for an Autoset. I'm guessing the Autoset for Her was offered to Ontario for the CPAP price just to avoid those requirements.

You can find out about the gov't support by searching for Assistive Devices Program on the Ministry of Health website.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I followed bonjour's and pholynyk's recommendation and called this morning. They gladly swapped out the Elite for the AutoSense for Her with not a lot of fuss. I just reset it to APAP mode with a range of 5 - 15 like it was when I started the study. I'll give it a few nights to get back into a normal sleep pattern and then post my graphs.

Thanks again for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 159 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 513 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,204 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 138 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 217 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 224 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.