Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APAP to CPAP
RE: APAP to CPAP
(08-27-2012, 06:11 PM)mjbearit Wrote: My knee-jerk reaction would be to set the CPAP to whatever my 95% is for the past month/week in that area. Not tough to do since my week is at 15.00 and my month is at 14.59 and my CPAP is so old it only has whole numbers, so I would just set it to 15.

I take it the old CPAP is not data-capable?

Like zonk said, 5% of the time you are above 15 cm of pressure, but what's going on the other 95% of the time!?

Try setting your APAP in CPAP mode at a pressure of your choosing and see how the AHI looks. Basically, you'd be using the APAP to make an educated guess at what the CPAP pressure should be. Other than that, I don't see any way to figure it out.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, that's a good point, Sleepster. See, I knew we kept you around for a reason!

And yes, sleep apnea is an important thing to tell the doc prior to any surgery. Some surgeries, they use a tube down the throat so xPAP during the surgery itself would not be needed. But it certainly should be in the recovery room! I've been sent home early twice because my snoring kept the other patients away. And neither time did anyone say anything about sleep apnea.

MJ, I will someday replace my oximeter for the wrist type as well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2012, 07:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 06:11 PM)mjbearit Wrote: My knee-jerk reaction would be to set the CPAP to whatever my 95% is for the past month/week in that area. Not tough to do since my week is at 15.00 and my month is at 14.59 and my CPAP is so old it only has whole numbers, so I would just set it to 15.

I take it the old CPAP is not data-capable?

Like zonk said, 5% of the time you are above 15 cm of pressure, but what's going on the other 95% of the time!?

Try setting your APAP in CPAP mode at a pressure of your choosing and see how the AHI looks. Basically, you'd be using the APAP to make an educated guess at what the CPAP pressure should be. Other than that, I don't see any way to figure it out.

Thanks Sleepster. I know. I have been putting that off. You know I really hate to mess with anything that is working! And I REALLY hate to go back to an old CPAP, but you are right. The only way to know for sure is to set it up and experiment. Maybe I could just buy another APAP?! LOL!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful if you set CPAP at the 95th percentile value. Understand that if you do that, there is a danger that you could have more central apneas. Since most of the time your pressurs are the 13 or 14 range, I probably woudn't go beyond 14 for starters. If your AHI isn't acceptable and you need to use a higher number like your 95th percentile value, after a night on that, look at your SleepyHead data to be sure you aren't encountering a lot of centrals. The only problem you may have is that your CPAP machine isn't data capable. In that case, you may want to try all of this out on your APAP machine. before it fails. Put it in CPAP mode to see what these fixed pressures do to your AHI.

I forgot to mention, that in addition to a 15 pressure possibly causing centrals, you may find that a pressure that high is too uncomfortable for you, since you are accustomed to lower starting pressures with your APAP. Of course you could try ramping it up, if your old CPAP machine has that capability, as you probably don't use that feature with your APAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2012, 08:16 PM)mjbearit Wrote: Maybe I could just buy another APAP?! LOL!

Buy two and give one of them to me!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,427 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.