Post Reply 
APAP to CPAP
Author Message
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Posts: 4,995
Joined: Feb 2012

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male
Location: Houston, Texas

Post: #11
RE: APAP to CPAP
(08-27-2012 06:11 PM)mjbearit Wrote:  My knee-jerk reaction would be to set the CPAP to whatever my 95% is for the past month/week in that area. Not tough to do since my week is at 15.00 and my month is at 14.59 and my CPAP is so old it only has whole numbers, so I would just set it to 15.

I take it the old CPAP is not data-capable?

Like zonk said, 5% of the time you are above 15 cm of pressure, but what's going on the other 95% of the time!?

Try setting your APAP in CPAP mode at a pressure of your choosing and see how the AHI looks. Basically, you'd be using the APAP to make an educated guess at what the CPAP pressure should be. Other than that, I don't see any way to figure it out.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com


INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-27-2012 07:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Posts: 8,067
Joined: Feb 2012

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed
Location: western NC, USA

Post: #12
RE: APAP to CPAP
Oh, that's a good point, Sleepster. See, I knew we kept you around for a reason!

And yes, sleep apnea is an important thing to tell the doc prior to any surgery. Some surgeries, they use a tube down the throat so xPAP during the surgery itself would not be needed. But it certainly should be in the recovery room! I've been sent home early twice because my snoring kept the other patients away. And neither time did anyone say anything about sleep apnea.

MJ, I will someday replace my oximeter for the wrist type as well.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com


Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-27-2012 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Posts: 605
Joined: May 2012

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Location: So Cal

Post: #13
RE: APAP to CPAP
(08-27-2012 07:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote:  
(08-27-2012 06:11 PM)mjbearit Wrote:  My knee-jerk reaction would be to set the CPAP to whatever my 95% is for the past month/week in that area. Not tough to do since my week is at 15.00 and my month is at 14.59 and my CPAP is so old it only has whole numbers, so I would just set it to 15.

I take it the old CPAP is not data-capable?

Like zonk said, 5% of the time you are above 15 cm of pressure, but what's going on the other 95% of the time!?

Try setting your APAP in CPAP mode at a pressure of your choosing and see how the AHI looks. Basically, you'd be using the APAP to make an educated guess at what the CPAP pressure should be. Other than that, I don't see any way to figure it out.

Thanks Sleepster. I know. I have been putting that off. You know I really hate to mess with anything that is working! And I REALLY hate to go back to an old CPAP, but you are right. The only way to know for sure is to set it up and experiment. Maybe I could just buy another APAP?! LOL!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
08-27-2012 08:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
BabyDoc Offline

Preferred Members-2

Posts: 184
Joined: May 2012

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with Climateline Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 6.0 -16.0 CM
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Location: Beachwood, OHIO

Post: #14
RE: APAP to CPAP
Be careful if you set CPAP at the 95th percentile value. Understand that if you do that, there is a danger that you could have more central apneas. Since most of the time your pressurs are the 13 or 14 range, I probably woudn't go beyond 14 for starters. If your AHI isn't acceptable and you need to use a higher number like your 95th percentile value, after a night on that, look at your SleepyHead data to be sure you aren't encountering a lot of centrals. The only problem you may have is that your CPAP machine isn't data capable. In that case, you may want to try all of this out on your APAP machine. before it fails. Put it in CPAP mode to see what these fixed pressures do to your AHI.

I forgot to mention, that in addition to a 15 pressure possibly causing centrals, you may find that a pressure that high is too uncomfortable for you, since you are accustomed to lower starting pressures with your APAP. Of course you could try ramping it up, if your old CPAP machine has that capability, as you probably don't use that feature with your APAP machine.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2012 08:48 AM by BabyDoc.)
08-28-2012 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Posts: 4,995
Joined: Feb 2012

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male
Location: Houston, Texas

Post: #15
RE: APAP to CPAP
(08-27-2012 08:16 PM)mjbearit Wrote:  Maybe I could just buy another APAP?! LOL!

Buy two and give one of them to me!

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com


INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-28-2012 01:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Post Reply 


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Medicare Advantage Coverage for APAP Evie 4 235 12-05-2016 09:49 PM
Last Post: Evie
  cpap and apap not effictive Ezil71 109 3,141 11-05-2016 11:19 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Unable to clear throat while on APAP NorthernGuy 5 311 10-17-2016 08:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apap I_will_never_sleep_again 2 287 10-14-2016 02:58 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Travel to Australia with Apap. Newbee2016 10 546 09-24-2016 12:06 PM
Last Post: SharonN
  Looking for complete list of AUTO apap's compatible with Sleepyhead Lanco 9 477 09-21-2016 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Had to STOP APAP Roy289 13 1,049 09-18-2016 08:52 AM
Last Post: Roy289

Forum Jump:

Who's Online (Complete List)