Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Problem with Mirage FX
RE: Problem with Mirage FX
Here is the photo I tried to post previously. I think it is the best way for others to understand the nature of the problem.

You will see that the rectangular tab is in effect broken out on three sides creating a significant air leak. I am holding it open with my finger nail so you can see clearly. There were two tabs on this mask broken in this way, and another three that were clearly heading in the same way.

[Image: IMG_3943.JPG]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2013, 12:28 AM)BlueDevil Wrote: Here is the photo I tried to post previously. I think it is the best way for others to understand the nature of the problem.

You will see that the rectangular tab is in effect broken out on three sides creating a significant air leak. I am holding it open with my finger nail so you can see clearly. There were two tabs on this mask broken in this way, and another three that were clearly heading in the same way.

Yes, I learned this by looking up the user manual to see that it's a much different problem than I had encountered myself. In this mass produced world it really might be cheaper to replace it than to fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2013, 11:49 AM)Ugly Wrote: Yes, I learned this by looking up the user manual to see that it's a much different problem than I had encountered myself. In this mass produced world it really might be cheaper to replace it than to fix it.

Yes, I agree that fixing it is probably not an option. I think you would have to cover the whole tab with an epoxy glue and that would potentially alter the manufacturers intended air leak rate.

I really like this mask, and when I first started on CPAP it was really the only one I found that worked well for me. I certainly intend to keep using this same model. I guess what I am trying to find out is whether anyone else has encountered this problem.

It is especially puzzling that it has now happened to me with two masks. On both occasions the mask was functioning perfectly when I went to bed (ie no abnormal air leak sounds) and then I have woken up during the night to find a significant air leak has happened 'out of the blue'. I am at a loss to understand how a mask can be okay when I go to bed but in effect become broken sometime during the night.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2013, 05:33 PM)BlueDevil Wrote: It is especially puzzling that it has now happened to me with two masks. On both occasions the mask was functioning perfectly when I went to bed (ie no abnormal air leak sounds) and then I have woken up during the night to find a significant air leak has happened 'out of the blue'. I am at a loss to understand how a mask can be okay when I go to bed but in effect become broken sometime during the night.

It sure sounds to me like a design defect. Most masks come with some kind of a warranty. I'd be ringing the manufacturer's bell.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 01:54 AM)BlueDevil Wrote: Has anyone had problems with this mask in which the airvents pop out?

Just to explain more carefully: if you look closely at the air vents you will see they consist of small rectangular plastic sections with 4 vent holes in each. On two seperate masks I have had these rectangular sections break out of their position creating a significant leak. On both occasions this has occurred while I was asleep with the mask seemingly functioning perfectly when I went to bed. Basically I have been woken during the night to the sound of an air leak and then discovered the problem when I have inspected the mask closely in the morning. I have no idea what has happened during my sleep to have caused this fault.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this fault.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I started using my Mirage FX November 2013. November 2014 had the same problem as you, with the air vent area tearing. Was informed by a cpap agent that it was me and other user's at fault because we squeezed the mask whilst removing the elbow, instead of pressing the grey part on the elbow. August 2015, 9 months later have the same problem . I know I am careful how I remove elbow. I find it very hard to handle mask without squeezing at some stage. I feel there is a design fault with the mask and it has a weak area .
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2013, 07:05 PM)zonk Wrote: Bump2

If you like this mask, you might like F&P Zest nasal mask which is quite similar
Mirage FX nasal mask: http://www.resmedmiragefx.com/miragefx/en/fitting.html

F&P Zest nasal mask: http://www.fphcare.com.au/products/zest-nasal-masks/

I agree, I have been using the F&P Zest nasal mask for 8 years. It has a much simpler and more robust vent design and a more forgiving strap connection.
And it costs half as much.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Zest mask also has a version where the vent is silenced and diffused - the Zest Q. The vent is moved from the frame to the elbow and uses a patch of loose filter type material as the diffuser. It is set up so that you can use it with or without the diffuser as you wish. Just an FYI.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,335 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.