Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APNEA BOARD SERVER had power outage, back online now!
Rainbow 
APNEA BOARD SERVER had power outage, back online now!
Howdy folks,

During the past hour or two, our dedicated server (and several other servers) located in the Dallas, Texas datacenter experienced a power outage. After the electrical problems, our server was rebooted, but the abrupt outage caused our forum and websites database to have errors during the past couple of hours.

Our server maintenance folks have brought the server back online and have repaired the database errors.

Everything looks okay now and I'm continuing to monitor the system and check for anything else that might have been affected, but so far everything looks good. This didn't affect any security, just corrupted the database, which was repairable.

Let me know here in this thread if you're having any issues, please. Just hit REPLY to this post if you have any problems, issues or questions.

If you're having trouble logging in, please send me an email with as much detail as you can, giving your registration email address, your forum username and list any error messages you see on the screen. My email address is: apneaboard@gmail.com

Thanks for your patience.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

RE: APNEA BOARD SERVER had power outage, back online now!
FYI, our server was in a datacenter that has HUGE monstrous UPS units (Interruptible Power Supplies). For some reason, those UPS units failed when the power went out. Normally, when a power outage happens, the UPS batteries kick in and if need be, keep the webservers running for a while, and if the power isn't restored quickly, they will cleanly shut down the server so no damage is done.

In this case, the UPS units malfunctioned and didn't kick in when they were supposed to, with the general effect of "unplugging" our server immediately without performing a proper shutdown. That's why our SQL databases were corrupted.

The databases have been repaired now, and just to make sure, I'm going to be spending the next several hours checking things over. Good thing is that this happened on a Sunday afternoon when I'm at home and available! Eat-popcorn

Thanks again... Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I assume this was caused by some wicked weather down in TX.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
(05-11-2014, 06:38 PM)justMongo Wrote: I assume this was caused by some wicked weather down in TX.

Not sure yet. Even if it was, there should have been a working backup in place to shut down the server properly using the UPS setup, but that failed during the outage.

That said, I'm very pleased that even with this latest issue, we've had close to 99.95% uptime on our server during the past year. Not bad, really, considering one of the major down periods was when I accidentally deleted all the files from our server and had to restore from a backup. Fortunately I do regular backups which helps when I have my "stupid moments", and in that case, we only lost a few hour's worth of data and posts. Bigwink Smile

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

(05-11-2014, 04:41 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Let me know here in this thread if you're having any issues, please.

The only thing I've noticed is that message you just posted saying you were going to award me a new t-shirt seems to have vanished. Hopefully the t-shirt is already in the mail?
(05-11-2014, 07:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote: The only thing I've noticed is that message you just posted saying you were going to award me a new t-shirt seems to have vanished. Hopefully the t-shirt is already in the mail?

We used your T-shirt to clean up the mess in the datacenter. It didn't survive, I'm sorry to report - It gave it's life that Apnea Board might live. crygreen
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

You forget to pay the power bill again ? Oh-jeez

(05-11-2014, 07:55 PM)JWR Wrote: You forget to pay the power bill again ? Oh-jeez

Forgot to feed the Hamster in the server.

[Image: gerbil%20power.jpg]

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

(05-11-2014, 08:06 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(05-11-2014, 07:55 PM)JWR Wrote: You forget to pay the power bill again ? Oh-jeez

Forgot to feed the Hamster in the server.

[Image: gerbil%20power.jpg]

That's a good one ! Dielaughing here's some popcorn , better feed the little bugger Eat-popcorn
Years ago, I worked at an offsite storage facility for computer backup tapes. One of our major clients had an enormous data center that provided outsourced data processing services to various companies. One day, one of their bigwigs decided to test the backup generator by shutting off the building's main power switch. Unfortunately, the backup generator didn't come on. They had a huge job, getting all the servers running again.

I spent New Year's Eve, 12/31/1999 into 1/1/2000 starting at midnight, watching a small server run a backup job and then verifying that the backup ran properly. They didn't want to take any chances with the Y2K problem. It ran normally without any problems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,793 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,988 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,341 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 499 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 527 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 936 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.