Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

APNEA Out of Control
RE: APNEA Out of Control
I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about the dental appliance for sleep apnea. I've been using it every night since I got it back in October of last year. I have to say that I felt a lot better before I was ever diagnosed! My stamina is terrible! Is it possible the appliance could be making the apnea worse? The dentist says no way. He insists my sleep tests show the apnea reduced as I have already said. I just find it difficult to believe I don't feel better using the applaince, at least somewhat. Huh

PS I am scheduled for my sleep study Saturday night.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you have not had a sleepstudy yet, what is the dentist using as evidence they are better? how bad was the apnea to start with, and how much improved is it?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2016, 05:45 PM)Mike208 Wrote: PS I am scheduled for my sleep study Saturday night.
With or without the oral appliance in place?
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2016, 08:44 PM)DariaVader Wrote: if you have not had a sleepstudy yet, what is the dentist using as evidence they are better? how bad was the apnea to start with, and how much improved is it?

I have had a study. That's how I was first diagnosed. This one is to see if anything has changed, and I'm hoping to see if bipap would be any better than cpap.
(04-22-2016, 12:00 AM)robysue Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 05:45 PM)Mike208 Wrote: PS I am scheduled for my sleep study Saturday night.
With or without the oral appliance in place?

The doctor told me bring it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting note. I have been feeling the lack of good sleep for sometime. Some days are worse than others even using the dental appliance. Last night I decided to go without it. I can't say how much I slept but I remember dreaming on several occasions. Today I still feel it but not quite as bad. Now, that puzzles me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know what your dental device is called? Just curious. I have an "NTI tss plus" which is perhaps not what you are talking about, since I have it to prevent clenching and grinding my teeth. But my point is that I wear it WITH my CPAP. So unless you eventually discover that your dental device is really harming you, it can possibly be used in conjunction with an XPAP system, and provide additional benefits.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 05:23 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: Do you know what your dental device is called? Just curious. I have an "NTI tss plus" which is perhaps not what you are talking about, since I have it to prevent clenching and grinding my teeth. But my point is that I wear it WITH my CPAP. So unless you eventually discover that your dental device is really harming you, it can possibly be used in conjunction with an XPAP system, and provide additional benefits.

Sorry, I was not aware I had a response. My appliance is the pink Respire from Whole You. The doc said the perfect situation for me would be to use it along with the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had my sleep study last Saturday. I almost walked out because the tech said she knew nothing about trying the bilevel. I had talked to the doc about it before the study and, as far as I knew, it was going to be tested. But it wasn't. I got the results today. They want me to go on CPAP again with a pressure of 10. She said that after I was put on it during the test I was in REM sleep and had almost no events with oxygen saturation at 97%. I told her about what the doc and I had discussed concerning the bilevel. It was not tried because there was no need. I told her about the previous experiences and my fighting to breathe. She suggested adding something to the CPAP that will turn it into a bilevel. I can't recall what she called it. But it will drop the pressure when I exhale. So, I agreed to try it again. I'm hoping that it works and I can get accustomed to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 07:54 PM)Mike208 Wrote: I had my sleep study last Saturday. I almost walked out because the tech said she knew nothing about trying the bilevel. I had talked to the doc about it before the study and, as far as I knew, it was going to be tested. But it wasn't. I got the results today. They want me to go on CPAP again with a pressure of 10. She said that after I was put on it during the test I was in REM sleep and had almost no events with oxygen saturation at 97%. I told her about what the doc and I had discussed concerning the bilevel. It was not tried because there was no need. I told her about the previous experiences and my fighting to breathe. She suggested adding something to the CPAP that will turn it into a bilevel. I can't recall what she called it. But it will drop the pressure when I exhale. So, I agreed to try it again. I'm hoping that it works and I can get accustomed to it.

With ResMed machines that is called EPR (repertory pressure relief - or something like that). You can set it to make it easier to exhale, it defines the reduction in pressure during exhaling.

That is a two edged sword, and and help you exhale, but can also impact treatment of some forms of Events.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 08:08 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(04-27-2016, 07:54 PM)Mike208 Wrote: I had my sleep study last Saturday. I almost walked out because the tech said she knew nothing about trying the bilevel. I had talked to the doc about it before the study and, as far as I knew, it was going to be tested. But it wasn't. I got the results today. They want me to go on CPAP again with a pressure of 10. She said that after I was put on it during the test I was in REM sleep and had almost no events with oxygen saturation at 97%. I told her about what the doc and I had discussed concerning the bilevel. It was not tried because there was no need. I told her about the previous experiences and my fighting to breathe. She suggested adding something to the CPAP that will turn it into a bilevel. I can't recall what she called it. But it will drop the pressure when I exhale. So, I agreed to try it again. I'm hoping that it works and I can get accustomed to it.

With ResMed machines that is called EPR (repertory pressure relief - or something like that). You can set it to make it easier to exhale, it defines the reduction in pressure during exhaling.

That is a two edged sword, and and help you exhale, but can also impact treatment of some forms of Events.

That's it. Thank you. I go in the morning to get the machine. I'm hoping this will make it easier for me to use it. By the way, even though I check the box for receiving notification of new replies I don't get them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 908 7 hours ago
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 218 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Does Not Control Small Chokes Buitlear 27 1,886 12-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Buitlear
  IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP CONTROL srlevine1 2 425 07-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  cant control mouth leak sfgiants123 7 1,026 05-23-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,003 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.