Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit 10
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: Supposed to be 10
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: APNEA Out of Control
I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about the dental appliance for sleep apnea. I've been using it every night since I got it back in October of last year. I have to say that I felt a lot better before I was ever diagnosed! My stamina is terrible! Is it possible the appliance could be making the apnea worse? The dentist says no way. He insists my sleep tests show the apnea reduced as I have already said. I just find it difficult to believe I don't feel better using the applaince, at least somewhat. Huh

PS I am scheduled for my sleep study Saturday night.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 05:46 PM by Mike208.)
04-21-2016 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

if you have not had a sleepstudy yet, what is the dentist using as evidence they are better? how bad was the apnea to start with, and how much improved is it?

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
04-21-2016 08:44 PM
robysue Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: PR Dreamstation BiPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: PR Dreamstation humidfier
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 4; max IPAP = 9;
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic EncorePro

Other Comments: Papping since September 2010

(04-21-2016 05:45 PM)Mike208 Wrote:  PS I am scheduled for my sleep study Saturday night.
With or without the oral appliance in place?

Questions about SleepyHead?
See my Guide to SleepyHead
04-22-2016 12:00 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mike208 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset

Other Comments:

(04-21-2016 08:44 PM)DariaVader Wrote:  if you have not had a sleepstudy yet, what is the dentist using as evidence they are better? how bad was the apnea to start with, and how much improved is it?

I have had a study. That's how I was first diagnosed. This one is to see if anything has changed, and I'm hoping to see if bipap would be any better than cpap.
(04-22-2016 12:00 AM)robysue Wrote:  
(04-21-2016 05:45 PM)Mike208 Wrote:  PS I am scheduled for my sleep study Saturday night.
With or without the oral appliance in place?

The doctor told me bring it.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 06:48 AM by Mike208.)
04-22-2016 06:47 AM
Mike208 Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

Interesting note. I have been feeling the lack of good sleep for sometime. Some days are worse than others even using the dental appliance. Last night I decided to go without it. I can't say how much I slept but I remember dreaming on several occasions. Today I still feel it but not quite as bad. Now, that puzzles me.
04-22-2016 02:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
BadGoodDeb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 for Her
Humidifier: no
CPAP Pressure: 8 (testing 7.8-10)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New to AirSense 10 and AirFit P10, but 4 years on prev unit

Do you know what your dental device is called? Just curious. I have an "NTI tss plus" which is perhaps not what you are talking about, since I have it to prevent clenching and grinding my teeth. But my point is that I wear it WITH my CPAP. So unless you eventually discover that your dental device is really harming you, it can possibly be used in conjunction with an XPAP system, and provide additional benefits.
04-22-2016 05:23 PM
Mike208 Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(04-22-2016 05:23 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:  Do you know what your dental device is called? Just curious. I have an "NTI tss plus" which is perhaps not what you are talking about, since I have it to prevent clenching and grinding my teeth. But my point is that I wear it WITH my CPAP. So unless you eventually discover that your dental device is really harming you, it can possibly be used in conjunction with an XPAP system, and provide additional benefits.

Sorry, I was not aware I had a response. My appliance is the pink Respire from Whole You. The doc said the perfect situation for me would be to use it along with the CPAP.
04-27-2016 07:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mike208 Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

I had my sleep study last Saturday. I almost walked out because the tech said she knew nothing about trying the bilevel. I had talked to the doc about it before the study and, as far as I knew, it was going to be tested. But it wasn't. I got the results today. They want me to go on CPAP again with a pressure of 10. She said that after I was put on it during the test I was in REM sleep and had almost no events with oxygen saturation at 97%. I told her about what the doc and I had discussed concerning the bilevel. It was not tried because there was no need. I told her about the previous experiences and my fighting to breathe. She suggested adding something to the CPAP that will turn it into a bilevel. I can't recall what she called it. But it will drop the pressure when I exhale. So, I agreed to try it again. I'm hoping that it works and I can get accustomed to it.
04-27-2016 07:54 PM
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

(04-27-2016 07:54 PM)Mike208 Wrote:  I had my sleep study last Saturday. I almost walked out because the tech said she knew nothing about trying the bilevel. I had talked to the doc about it before the study and, as far as I knew, it was going to be tested. But it wasn't. I got the results today. They want me to go on CPAP again with a pressure of 10. She said that after I was put on it during the test I was in REM sleep and had almost no events with oxygen saturation at 97%. I told her about what the doc and I had discussed concerning the bilevel. It was not tried because there was no need. I told her about the previous experiences and my fighting to breathe. She suggested adding something to the CPAP that will turn it into a bilevel. I can't recall what she called it. But it will drop the pressure when I exhale. So, I agreed to try it again. I'm hoping that it works and I can get accustomed to it.

With ResMed machines that is called EPR (repertory pressure relief - or something like that). You can set it to make it easier to exhale, it defines the reduction in pressure during exhaling.

That is a two edged sword, and and help you exhale, but can also impact treatment of some forms of Events.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
04-27-2016 08:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mike208 Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(04-27-2016 08:08 PM)FrankNichols Wrote:  
(04-27-2016 07:54 PM)Mike208 Wrote:  I had my sleep study last Saturday. I almost walked out because the tech said she knew nothing about trying the bilevel. I had talked to the doc about it before the study and, as far as I knew, it was going to be tested. But it wasn't. I got the results today. They want me to go on CPAP again with a pressure of 10. She said that after I was put on it during the test I was in REM sleep and had almost no events with oxygen saturation at 97%. I told her about what the doc and I had discussed concerning the bilevel. It was not tried because there was no need. I told her about the previous experiences and my fighting to breathe. She suggested adding something to the CPAP that will turn it into a bilevel. I can't recall what she called it. But it will drop the pressure when I exhale. So, I agreed to try it again. I'm hoping that it works and I can get accustomed to it.

With ResMed machines that is called EPR (repertory pressure relief - or something like that). You can set it to make it easier to exhale, it defines the reduction in pressure during exhaling.

That is a two edged sword, and and help you exhale, but can also impact treatment of some forms of Events.

That's it. Thank you. I go in the morning to get the machine. I'm hoping this will make it easier for me to use it. By the way, even though I check the box for receiving notification of new replies I don't get them.
04-28-2016 06:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,205 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
  RemStar Auto A-Flex: Control wheel fault? yossarian 2 252 09-08-2016 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Control of breathing rate - me or machine? txpap 9 642 07-12-2016 07:25 AM
Last Post: txpap
  New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP blehmier 6 799 06-06-2016 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Rainout with Climate Control Air Curve! Kate 4 724 01-09-2016 08:03 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] Climate Control niammus 3 607 12-20-2015 06:48 PM
Last Post: niammus
  [CPAP] Calculator for ResMed S9 with humidifier and climate control hose on 12V battery nilsola 0 624 12-06-2015 10:17 AM
Last Post: nilsola