Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ARES home sleep test
ARES home sleep test
I have an in home sleep apparatus I am required to wear tonight (for one night) as a prelude to a titration study. Has anyone used this device by Watermark Medical? I am to wear this tonight but without my CPAP (gulp!). They said I can take any prescription meds to get to sleep and I need to sleep at least 5 hours. Sounds like I'll be taking a pretty huge dosage if I have any hope of sleeping at all and for sure, tomorrow will be a total loss. I wish I were able to get my 5 hours in, take it off and use the CPAP for another 8 but I have appointments to keep. Does this device have any reputation that I should know about? Annoying to wear (its on your forehead)? Wakes you up? Inaccurate? Very accurate?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ARES home sleep test
Have you checked their website? They have some instructional videos. I didn't view any of them.

So, you have a CPAP machine and they are doing this why?

If you can, try to not think about it. Just put it on and go to sleep. Don't worry about it, don't stress. Just try to do your routine as normal. The more normal a routine you can keep, the more accurate the test. Or I would assume.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I do have a cpap that is nearly 5 years old. I had a sleep study prior to getting that. While kinda happy with the cpap usage, I was/am still unable to sleep without prescription medications. I was largely ignored by my doctors for those 4 years. In recent months I began to suspect that the cpap pressure was too low, by a LOT. I added 25% on my own and the difference was astoundingly better. I was able to cut meds in half with few effects but I am motivated to cut them out completely and forever. Thanks to this web site, I learned that I can monitor my own sleep if I have the right machine, and also that there are auto cpaps that adjust pressure in real time. Who knew? Not Me. That set me on a mission to obtain a new auto cpap but the insurance needs a sleep study report which is no longer on file anywhere. OK, I need a new one anyway. I am told that I must begin all over again with reconfirmation that I have apnea (which is tonights exercise) followed by a titration to "determine what I need". I viewed the ARES videos and am skeptical of having all that stuff on my forehead while trying to sleep without cpap and with a heavy dosage of meds I have grown to hate. If I had a picture in my mind how I can possibly make it through the night, I'd feel better. 10 years with no cpap, heavy meds, and a groggy/sick feeling daily would make anyone think twice about going back to the bad ol' days even for one night. I am totally outside my norm here and it is a bit frightening. Has anyone used this device and can tell me what to expect besides not sleeping much?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to reminder you don't want any Phillips Respironics System One cpap machine with Plus in the name or Resmed S9 with Escape or Escape Auto in the name. Auto PAP that shows AHI and leak efficacy data are the PR System One Auto and Resmed S9 AutoSet. You can monitor your sleep with either of the machines and you can get the manuals and the software (ResScan & SleepyHead) to support both machine from our forum.
Best of luck with tonight home study

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that recommendation. I'm off to try this out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: I survived the night with the test device. I followed all instructions and went to sleep as it verbally told me. There were no alarms for any problems but when I went to turn off the device this morning with the on/off switch, it booted UP rather than turning off. So it appears that the battery must have been low or it had a failure of some sort and probably did not collect data. I am not impressed with this apparatus, having lost a nights rest and probably needing to do it over again. Today is a lost cause with the groggy fog from taking 8X prescription meds in order to sleep. Hoping I can nap later this afternoon. I am not impressed with the ARES home sleep test. This process was just a make-work technicality since we already know I have apnea and need a titration to get a new cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Suggest to your doctor that you use an oximeter one night. That would show O2 drops which would indicate a problem.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2012, 09:37 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Suggest to your doctor that you use an oximeter one night. That would show O2 drops which would indicate a problem.

Also, minimal issue as to wearing, since it fits on the end of your finger. Non obtrusive.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update.

Doctor reports AHI of 44 and after much bureaucracy, an auto CPAP has been ordered. I don't know which one yet. No wonder my fixed pressure unit didn't work very well at 9.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2012, 12:11 AM)Fosco Wrote: Update.

Doctor reports AHI of 44 and after much bureaucracy, an auto CPAP has been ordered. I don't know which one yet. No wonder my fixed pressure unit didn't work very well at 9.

A high AHI doesn't necessarily mean you need a high pressure.

However, an auto machine is always a good idea.

The DME is the person you actually buy the CPAP machine from. You need to find out which DMEs in your area are "in network" for your insurance.

Do !!!NOT!!! let the doctor steer you into buying from a bad DME because he has a relationship with them. You can choose any DME you want. Find out who the DME is that the doctor ordered the equipment from. Call the DME and find out the exact model before you accept it. Ask about it here first.

Many DMEs will lie to you. They'll tell you it's an auto, or that it's data capable when it isn't.

If the doctor's DME won't work with you, call around and find one who'll get you the right machine in order to get your business.

I recommend Philips Respironics System One Auto or ResMed S9 AutoSet (NOT Escape Auto, not S8).

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 101 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,924 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 133 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.