Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine
Sad 
Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine
Hi Everyone,
After changing to Resmed I am very confuse.
Also my AHI from 0.5 to 2 have jumped to 20 after I change to the Resmed while I tried to keep everything the same.
I do not understand what I should set for the following configuration to match the same as my respironics.
TiMin: ?
TiMax: ?
Trigger: ?
Cycle: ?

Following is my existing BiPAP information:
Philips Respironics
DreamStation Auto BiPAP

Mode: AutoBiLevel
Min EPAP: 10.00 cmH2O
Max IPAP: 24.00 cmH2O
PS Min: 4.00 cmH2O
PS Max: 6.00 cmH2O
Auto Off: Off
Auto On: Off
Flex Level: 2
Flex Lock: Off
Flex Mode: Bi-Flex
Hose Diam.: 22mm
Humid. Level: 3
Humid. Mode: Adaptive (System One)
Humidifier: Connected
Mask Res. Lock Off
Mask Resist. 2
Ramp Time 0.00 Minutes
Ramp Type Linear

My New Resmed:
ResMed

AirCurve 10 VAuto

PAP Mode: VPAPauto

PS 6.0 over 11.0-25.0 (cmH2O)

Mode: VPAPauto

Min EPAP: 10.00 cmH2O

Max IPAP: 25.00 cmH2O

PS: 6.00 cmH2O

Antibacterial Filter: No

Climate Control: Auto

Cycle: Med

Essentials: Plus

Humidifier Status: On

Humidity Level: 4 

Mask: Pillows

Ramp: Off

Smart Start: Off

Temperature: 27 ºC

Temperature Enable: Auto

TiMax: 2.00 Seconds

TiMin: 0.30 Seconds
Trigger: Med
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help/advise after changing BiPAP Machine
I would highly recommend that you download OSCAR and post a screenshot of your Daily screen.  I am guessing that the PS of 6 may be causing you to have CAs.  Until you get some data, I would advise you to set the PS to 4.   Leave Trigger, Cycle, and TiMin to their defaults.  You may wish to set the TiMax to at least 2.8 or 3.0.  This controls the maximum time before the VAuto will drop to EPAP pressure.  If it is too short for you, it can disrupt your breathing and cause sleep disturbances.   Having it set for a longer time than you need does not cause any problems.  

Please see the links in my signature, below, for help on posting images.

I almost forgot. Please update your profile's equipment listing.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crimson,
Thanks for the advise. I will change the PS to 4 and test for one night before posting the data.
Cause I am testing for leak, which is strange as I do not face leaking issues with Respironic.

I suspect during my sleep the leak is from my nostril and out of my mouth as I test the mask fit and it was all green but shown high leaking from the resmed machine.

Have changed my equipment listing as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Crimson,
After your advise, my AHI have dropped to 9.
Seem like my mouth is leaking air as my mask before sleep and after sleep checking is fine.

Additional screenshot.
Not sure what is the issues here as using my previous respironics I do not face mouth leaking air issues before changing or respironics does not capture the air leaking properly?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You are having some of positional apnea.  You can see positional apnea where either H or Oa events are clustered together.  There are not a huge amount but getting rid of as many as you can will lower your AHI.

Positional apnea can NOT be controlled by pressure changes.  You have to find out what position you are getting into and cutting off your own airway.  Have you changed your sleep position?  Sleeping on your back?  Using more (or new) pillows?  These things can cause positional apnea by chin dropping to your sternum and cutting your airway.  Think of it of a kinked hose – nothing can get through – you have to unkink the hose…

IF you can’t make a simple change like changing to a flatter pillow helps then you will need a collar.  I have a link to collars in my signature at the bottom of the page.  It shows people who are not wearing a collar and the SAME person wearing a collar.  There is a huge difference between the two.

you can tell positional apnea by seeing clumped events of Oa,H,Ua.   You have several,,,
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson and staceyburke.
Reducing the PS from 6 to 4 indeed helped me to sleep better. Somehow the pressure feel the same my existing BiPAP.
I have also switch back to my existing pillow brand/model (For my head not the nasal pillow) and my AHI have reduced to around 1-2.

Once again thanks for the help!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the ability to set the Trigger (some models outside the U.S. don't have it), set it to high. This may help in reducing the CAs. Also, please use the F12 key (Fn+F12 for Mac) while in OSCAR to take the screenshots.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,441 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 378 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 226 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 253 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 448 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 336 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.