Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV AHI trouble
ASV AHI trouble
Hi Everyone,

I use an ASV machine on Auto settings. IT register NO Obstructive Apena, No central Apneas, which before the ASV machine were terrible. Nevertheless, my AHI readings are 24-28 nightly for UV and hypopneas. My sleep "NP" says its short breaths and not to worry. But I am worried with these numbers, Does anyone have an idea what to do to get the AHI's down?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV AHI trouble
Edited: sorry I just saw you've likely posted this info on other threads. I'll be able to look at these a bit later today.
Hi and 2 suggestions, then we'll go further.

1. To reduce confusion, can you update your profile info to make certain we're on the same page?

2. What are your exact settings on the machine? What settings can you verify and/or edit?

3. We'll need to see reports, charts, to see what's going on. Try to post results via Sleepyhead and Imgur.

I have a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV machine, so I may have some suggestions. But first, we have to know as specifically what you, and we, are working with.

Thanks,
Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on getting the ASV machine. You need to update your profile, and there is no way to advise you without knowing your actual settings for mode, min EPAP max EPAP, min PS, max PS at a minimum. if you are using Sleepyhead, post a chart. UA (unclassified apnea) is usually obstructive, but we can work on that after seeing the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
                I've been gone for awhile, quite depressed at results I get. I have a RESMED AIRCURVE 10 ASV and the older model too, the  ResMed S9

VPAP Adapt ASV. But work the same and results are the same. I used the older one here for a night, to keep it going, which I use when traveling.Here's my latest chart, with an AHI 49. 

all in unclassified and hypopneas. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using VPAP Adapt in ASVauto with EPAP 11-16, PS 3-14, and the AHI is awful. Those unclassifieds are probably obstructive since you're not responding to the pressure support, but it would help to take closer look at the flow rate charts during events (2-minute time so the wave form is clearly visible). Can you also review the history of machine use, results and pressures? Did you use CPAP or bilevel prior to ASV? What settings and results?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding to my last post, I have ask if you have ever tried a soft cervical collar. Your apnea looks very clustered and obstructive, and I'm sure that your sleep position and airway alignment are contributing to your very high AHI. We can throw all the pressure your machine is capable of (30 cm) at this problem, but if your airway is physically obstructed by your sleep position, we won't pry it open with air pressure alone.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fiur. Just adding to what Sleeprider said, it would help if you could format your charts to show the most relevant data. See here for simple instructions:

To format your charts: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

To upload your charts: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your replies. Sorry I haven't gotten back quicker. Life is just difficult for me at this time. I'm not sure what other charts I could send you. My AHI number can vary too. Weekly can vary from 49 AHI to 12-18 AHI, but usually stay within 12-24 averages. My settings are Min Epap 11, Max Epap 15, Ps. 4, and Ps 12. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a comfortable soft cervical collar and give it a try. You seem to have severe obstruction in clusters, probably caused by poor airway alignment. Once we have ruled that out, we can go from there. It's a little surprising that with your very high AHI your doctor is not intervening to identify the problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,144 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 278 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 254 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 501 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 730 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 951 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Trouble staying asleep with CPAP TiredTom111 4 852 07-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.