Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV: Anyone Used Both Resmed and Respironics ASV?
ASV: Anyone Used Both Resmed and Respironics ASV?
If anyone has used or tried the ASVs from both Resmed and Respironics, I'd like to hear which you like better and why. Many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV: Anyone Used Both Resmed and Respironics ASV?
Referring to the situation about 4 years ago, both machines have changed appearance dramatically, but I believe the underlying algorithms are unchanged...

The Resmed has it all over the Philips. With the Philips I always felt the machine was rushing me, coercing me to breathe at its rate rather than my own. AHI was typically over 20 (from an untreated 62). With the Resmed, the machine follows my own breathing patterns rather than trying to force me along. It's a lot more gentle, and the results are impressive with my AHI always under 2 and most nights under 1.

One caveat to the above: While Resmed's Pacewave algorithm looks after just about everything automatically, the Philips has a number of additional settings (Ti, Rise, BPM) which if adjusted properly might have improved my experience. This was very early in my time as a hosehead, and my therapist (who was otherwise brilliant) perhaps didn't know how set the machine up properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, DeepBreathing. Very helpful. I hope others respond as well, as that might provide some kind of more-or-less random sample.
Post Reply Post Reply
Concur with DeepBreathing.  
Cobbled from an earlier post. I started with a Respironics bipap auto sv advanced that I used for years and this last June purchased a slightly used Resmed Aircurve S10 ASV from Supplier #2 (see Supplier List at top of page). 

The Respironics always seemed to force my breathing differently than my norm, especially when I used a full face mask. It also seemed to be slower to respond to pressure needs and was more forceful when it did change.  I used the ramp feature to allow me to regulate my breathing before I went to sleep and then the machine kicked in its rhythm to which I adapted.

The Resmed seems to be much quicker to respond to pressure change needs and smoother in its pressure changing resulting in more comfort and sleep quality. I don't use the ramp with it and I can do some diaphragmatic breathing at first if I want, to which it adapts reasonably well. If it gets too far off my rhythm to start, I can blow it out (full face mask) and it slows down and starts over.  I don't do that very often.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks you, CT Centrals. Others?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used both respironics and res Med machines and the res Med is so much more quiet
I don't know what ASVs is? Also the Phillips respironics was harder to use and felt unnatural
Post Reply Post Reply
Patti B - ASV stands for "Adaptive Servo Ventilation." It is a special type of CPAP machine (technically, it is not even CPAP, though it is very similar) that is used for people who have mixed or complex sleep apnea (meaning they have a combination of obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea). Can you tell if that is the kind of machine you have? I do not currently have an ASV but perhaps someone who does can tell Patti B if the ASVs have a distinguishing feature or have "ASV" written on them.

Has anyone else used both kinds of ASV and can say which they like better?
Post Reply Post Reply
Patti's Airsense is not an ASV. I have never been able to understand the Philips naming conventions but their ASV machines usually have "SV" in the name somewhere. eg "Philips Respironics BiPAP AutoSV Advanced System One"

Resmed ASV machines include VPAP Adapt, AirCurve ASV, CS Pacewave. The name is always printed somewhere on the top or front of the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, DeepBreathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV would show on the front of the machine in shiny letters towards the bottom right away from the display.

Such as this:

[Image: xSz0e6Mh.jpg?1]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,259 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 232 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 790 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 679 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,437 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,300 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.