Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV - Finally! Progress Thread
RE: ASV - Finally! Progress Thread
No charts today but similar nights since the first night. Highest AHI so far has been 1.1, last night had my first night below 1! Amazing to see how much more effective and comfortable this machine is for me. Still re-acclimating to hose life after a break, but from a sleep breathing disorder standpoint, my breathing appears to be vastly improved throughout each night.

I am still having some leaks, and expect to continue to try to find masks that suit. I'm still wearing a beard, which comes off after Christmas, so I do expect that to make a positive leak change. Aerophagia still on and off too, but will continue to practice closing my mouth and keeping it shut. Drool for days! I really may need to find a ffm, or a better chinstrap, since I struggle keeping my mouth closed. Perhaps I should consider using a towel on my pillow - I am a side sleeping drool puddle maker.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2019, 12:50 PM)skiajl6297 Wrote: Highest AHI so far has been 1.1, last night had my first night below 1!  

This may be well covered elsewhere, but does the ASV measure the AHI differently than the regular Airsense 10 Autoset?

I have been at basically 0.2 and last night was 0.1. It seems thought that I get a 0.1 if I get up once to go to the bathroom, and 0.2 if I get up twice. I realize that it's not actually measuring these events, but it does seem like either a) the ASV machine has taken care of most / all of my apneas or b) it measures it differently ... 

It just seems odd that I am this low .... I do feel better but not great. Maybe my issues are now elsewhere or maybe I just need more time. It's only been a little over a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
dogfish, IDK if machines from the same mfgr measure ahi differently (I doubt it) but they probably treat events differently. different modalities with different algorithms producing different results. asv seems to be very good at reducing ahi. with apap my long term ahi was between 5 and 6; asv less than 1, vauto about 2-4. I've used a machine for 3 years now but was diagnosed more than 30 years ago with central apnea (no treatment). apnea progressed over the years into mixed apnea so asv was a good change from apap for me. however, it seems that even with higher ahi than asv, vauto is leaving me feeling better (I believe because of the asv's flailing pressure support responding ineffectually to non-passive flow limitations induced by periodic limb movement). I'm pretty sure I had more than 50 years untreated apnea. I assume it takes time to fully recover if that's even possible. as you noted, a week is no time at all.

asv was better than apap but I recently moved from asv to vauto because while ahi was low after 1.5 years of asv, my sleep continues to be quite fragmented. your issues may be different; I mention mine simply to point out it can be complicated.

post your oscar charts in your main thread for member insight into what's going on with you and your asv.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can I get some mask help here? Sorry for hijacking my own thread, but would appreciate suggestions. For those unfamiliar with my mask history, here you go:

Masks tried in order of performance (top is most successful, bottom least)
F&P Eson 1 (nasal)
My go-to currently, can maintain a mostly decent seal, but still leaky and requires adjustments at night.
Resmed P10 (pillow)
When I get a good nostril seal, works great, but I tend to drool more and mouth breathe more.
F&P Eson 2 (nasal)
Seal not quite as firm or stable for side sleeping as Eson 1. Less material moves around more.
Resmed F20 (ffm)
Never able to establish a good side sleeping seal - constant leaks around upper nose/cheeks. Also diffuser didnt work well for me.
Resmed F10 (ffm)
Never able to establish a good side sleeping seal - constant leaks around upper nose/cheeks.
Resmed P30i (pillow)
Sensitive to noise in cheekbones, over head design works great in use, but too noisy for me, and unadjustable headgear too tight.
Resmed N20 (nasal)
Width issues - small indicated by fit guide, but I have a long nose, tons of leaks, not tolerable
Phillips Dreamwear (pillow)
Sensitive to noise in cheekbones, over head design works great in use, but too noisy for me, and unadjustable headgear too tight. Struggled more with nasal seal on this than the P30i or P10, and exhaust vent stinks

I struggle with mouth breathing, but have not found a ffm that works for me as an active side sleeper. Eson 1 has a nice fit, but I still experience leaks and mouthbreathing. I am a heavy drooler too, and havent found a solution for that either.

I am leaning towards trying the Bleep dreamports, plus a better chinstrap - any suggestions there?

Any FFM that actually stay connected for side sleepers/active sleepers? And any advice for the drool? I know keeping the mouth closed is the first step, but I am anxious about mouth taping. Any input would be most appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
My F20 AirFit (silicone) works fine for me and ASV. I need to sleep left side to back, switching between these on occasion. And I do mouth breathe some parts of the night. If the pillow stays out of the way, I'm OK to very good with side sleep results. YMMV of course.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The nasal therapy might be better with some chin support. Take a look at the Knightsbridge Double Chin strap for $24. I’m impressed with the design and at least it will absorb the drool before it reaches your hair.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try a soft cloth that circumvented the head and covers the mouth, acting as a muffler. I’ve read about other mouth breathers that use that instead and the cloth acts a diffuser for their mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Resmed P10 or the Bleep mask with my ASV it took about 6 months to stop drooling mouth breathing, it just takes time
Post Reply Post Reply
Bleep mask and headband ordered. Will report back!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,032 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 960 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,209 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Jan's - Therapy Thread Jan Flikweert 71 2,585 03-21-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  brainfoggysleeper's Therapy Thread brainfoggysleeper 23 538 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.