Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV Machine and COVID Symptoms
RE: ASV Machine and COVID Symptoms
It's clearing up pretty well there. Congrats.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To expand on Sleeprider's comment the ASV machines do not differentiate between obstructive and central apnea (or hypopnea). The only way you can get an idea of what kind of apnea these are is by interpreting the recovery breathing/flow rate chart like I did earlier (or posting zoomed in examples so we can help you do so). The reason is that the ASV operation interferes with the method that Resmed uses to determine type of apnea on more basic machines so they just flag them all as unknown.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geer1, @sarcasticDave94, @sleeprider

Thanks for the feed back Geer, Dave, Sleeprider,
I do have a collar that does improve my Apnea, but I haven't figured out how to be comfortable enough to be able to sleep with it. So we'll see...
I will start another Thread that starts with my new baseline and then the Forum and I will titrate "me" over time.
Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Collars are easy. Put it on and instead of taking it off figure out how to sleep.

I was forced to get used to mine. Fractured my neck 7.5 weeks ago and have been wearing one practically 24/7 since. It's only a mild annoyance now. Biggest annoyance tight now is that I have been waiting 12 days now for someone to review my imaging and say if I can remove collar...

For me finding a different pillow arrangement was key. At first I just pretty much placed head flat on bed with a pillow on each side (only a very thin edge from each side underneath supporting neck). I now use a thinner pillow and that works OK, too thick of a pillow and a collar is a tough combo to get used to cause necks aren't supposed to bend that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geer1, thanks for the encouragement,

Okay,
I will try the collar off and on and see the differences in OSCAR.  
I thought I'd NEVER get used to a CPAP 20 years ago and now I choose to sleep with my ASV ever night!

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
The key is no off and on, just on. Make it work.

If it is no help after you get used to it then can consider stopping use.

It's just like starting cpap. If you only commit half way can take months to get used to, commit fully and only takes weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geer1,
Thanks.
Like going to the GYM, I don't want to go until after I get back and feel so good.

Call all courage...
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the collar. The first time I tried, I gave up after 30 minutes because it was so odd. Now I can't sleep without it because even with a FFM, the jaw drop causes leaks that wake me or dry mouth or a nostril blocks because I'm not breathing through my nose properly... Just... yeah, bite the bullet. You'll adjust, just as you did with xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ratchick,
I think I was expecting to do it right ALL NIGHT the first time.
I'm committing to start with collar, then start again and again...
I will take in your confidence Geer, Ratchick, Sleeprider, Dave...

does this look like the right size? (one size fits all)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have yet to use one, but I think the right size gives the results you're going after. Not allowing jaw drop or chin tuck, etc. while not creating negative things like pulling the jaw backwards.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 190 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 22 1,988 01-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: subconscious
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  some improvement but still having symptoms her.suit 1 244 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.