Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV Machines - Major Leaks
ASV Machines - Major Leaks
Hi Everyone,
I know this is a subject that has been discussed at length but I wanted to ask for peoples opinions now that more and more of us are ending up on ASV machines.
We all know that we are experiencing pressures that we are not used to when we first start on ASV. My settings are quite low but a lot of people are hitting 25 and higher when you add the PS to the EPAP.
Anyway, this has started to give me clusters of major leaks. I use a ResMed machine so I believe the line is 24 and anything above that is a major leak. Last night I slept for 7.45 hours and had 3.7% of that time above the line / major leaks. My AHI was 0.4. I had three Hypopneas each one was 10 seconds exactly.
I am very happy with my numbers (I am unhappy when I go over 1.0) but do worry about the leaks. What is an acceptable percentage of time to have major leaks? Should I worry about the level I am at - averaging just over 3% for the last week or so - or should I just carry on?
I have switched masks with the same result on leaks but higher AHI.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV Machines - Major Leaks
Well, I am new, but if the leaks are not waking you up and they are not causing Apnea events, I do not think I would "worry" about them. I can certainly understand wanting to stop them, but I would certainly take feeling good, having good numbers over worrying about leaks.

I suggest you filled with the mask. Is it an F10? If so, I would be amazed if you get an F10 to not leak over 20. I can barely keep mine sealed at 15.

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
The smiley / frowney face on the ResMed S9 (and I assume also on the A10) allows up to 30% of time in large leaks before it changes from happy to sad. Personally I think they have set the bar way too low, but it puts your 3% in perspective. As Frank said providing it's not causing you discomfort or waking you, then 3% is an acceptable time in large leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys,
Last night was zero major leaks over 6.45 hours. AHI 0.44 (three Hypopneas all only 10 seconds) so I am very happy. The 95% leak rate was 3.6 for the night.
But I will not worry about low percentages of major leaks from now on.
Thanks again,
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.