Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV and hypopneas
ASV and hypopneas
I have a question about hypopneas.  My physician did not seem too concerned about them. 

I am wondering if they tend to disrupt sleep?  My obstructive and central apneas are gone. 

Any ideas on how might I decrease the hypopneas?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.  

[Image: yB2nWMxm.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV and hypopneas
In your case hypopnea should be addressed by a breath by breath pressure support. It would help to see the mask pressure chart under the flow chart to see the machine's real-time response. I'd like to see that before making a recommendation, but I think you might decrease PSmin to 2.0 and increase PSmax to 11.0. This might reduce the events you are experiencing and give a more pronounced support when those shallow inspirations occur.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2017, 07:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In your case hypopnea should be addressed by a breath by breath pressure support.  It would help to see the mask pressure chart under the flow chart to see the machine's real-time response.   I'd like to see that before making a recommendation, but I think you might decrease PSmin to 2.0 and increase PSmax to 11.0.  This might reduce the events you are experiencing and give a more pronounced support when those shallow inspirations occur.

Thanks for your reply Sleeprider,

Is this what you want to see? 

[Image: C4ND9mEm.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
The chart shows the machine is delivering the maximum available PS during shallow hypopnea breaths. I think the suggestion to use a lower minimum PS and higher maximum PS may help. Give it a try and let's see if things smooth out a bit. The idea being that you get more contrast in PS assisted breaths vs natural spontaneous breaths.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you I will try it and see how it works. Thanks much!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleep Rider,

The changes you suggested worked.  I increased the maximum PS by a couple of inches and dropped the lower PS a bit.  I had one night of an AHI of 0.8.  Thanks so much! My AHI is running mostly about 2.0.

My doctor is only concerned about hypopneas that decrease my O2 levels.  I used the O2 attachment for 4 nights and found the hypopneas did not drop the O2, but periods of high leak rates do.

It also seems I get hypopneas when I have a period of excessive leaks so I'm working on that now.  I will go back to a full face mask possibly to see how that does, but a full face mask can leak around the edges too.  

The leak alarm did not help. It seems like someone would create an aftermarket leak alarm that would be adjustable and audible.

I would appreciate any ideas you may have.    

Thanks much!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really glad to hear the minor changes worked for you. So often, it's nothing radical, but working towards a comfortable and logical solution.

Same thing with leaks...resistance is futile...Resmed Airfit P10. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Very interesting. I just saw a YouTube video of the ResMed Airfit 10. I thought I might see if my supplier would let me try on of those. Now I definitely will! Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Airfit P10 is my recommendation also. Out of all the masks I tried it was definitely the best for me. In all respects.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your feedback Marillion,

Well, I was going to try the F10 or F20, since the one time I tried a nasal pillow, admittedly a long time ago, I could not tolerate the pressure on my nose.   Is the P10 similar to other pillows? I think I tried a ResMed nasal pillow about 10 years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 128 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 342 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 313 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 205 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 501 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 544 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 945 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.