Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV & dry mouth
ASV & dry mouth
I now have an ASV machine and am learning to use it, first time cpap user. Having real trouble with dry mouth hope this ends soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: self titrating an ASV
(05-13-2017, 08:05 PM)DannyG Wrote: I now have an ASV machine and am learning to use it, first time cpap user. Having real trouble with dry mouth hope this ends soon.

Hi DannyG, welcome to Apnea Board.

I suggest requesting that the setup manual (clinician guide) for your machine be emailed to you. The link is in the Important Threads section at the top of the forum.  It will explain how to see and adjust the settings and you'll be able to fill out your profile.

If you are having dry mouth using a nasal pillows mask I would guess mouth leaking is causing the dry mouth, and a chin strap may help. Or learning to keep your tongue at the top of your mouth to keep the pressure from reaching your lips.

I use a full face mask. The Fischer Paykel SimPlus works well for me, with a mask liner to further help eliminate leaks.

Good luck and take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2017, 08:52 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(05-13-2017, 08:05 PM)DannyG Wrote: I now have an ASV machine and am learning to use it, first time cpap user. Having real trouble with dry mouth hope this ends soon.

Hi DannyG, welcome to Apnea Board.

I suggest requesting that the setup manual (clinician guide) for your machine be emailed to you. The link is in the Important Threads section at the top of the forum.  It will explain how to see and adjust the settings and you'll be able to fill out your profile.

If you are having dry mouth using a nasal pillows mask I would guess mouth leaking is causing the dry mouth, and a chin strap may help. Or learning to keep your tongue at the top of your mouth to keep the pressure from reaching your lips.

I use a full face mask. The Fischer Paykel SimPlus works well for me, with a mask liner to further help eliminate leaks.

Good luck and take care,

-- Vaughn

Vaughn

Thanks for the advice. A little background might be helpful. I have had three sleep studies in the last four years.

The first was encouraged by my doctor when my wife told him I snored. The study was a nightmare, The tech woke me up at 11:30 pm and tried to fit a mask on me while I was still groggy. I think he was new and had poor bedside manner. I didn’t respond well and left the study as soon as I could. My doctor didn’t like that I didn’t finish the study and wrote me a letter saying he was no longer going to be my doctor.

Fast forward four years,  a new doctor and I now have Atrial Fibrillation related to they think sleep apnea. Second sleep study done a few months ago and my tech was a chain smoker. I told them I had already been diagnosed with OSA. The tech spent most of the time trying to control my OSA and smoke outside. My nose is very sensitive and the residual smoke on her clothing caused my nose to quite on me about 2 AM. The tech had a suspicion that I had Complex Apnea and didn’t get enough data. She recommended I return for another study focusing on possible complex apnea.

I grew up knowing a young girl in an iron lung with polio and that has never left my mine.  I’m not claustrophobic but I don’t like thing on my face while I sleep so I have leaned towards the nasal pillow option. I think it worked in the last two studies because I didn’t sleep much and I could control my tongue. Now that I have a cpap machine and am relaxing more and my tongue is failing me and letting the air out. I was hoping I could control this as my treatment went forward but it is not looking encouraging. I have only been on therapy for four days but the events of dry mouth are increasing in regularity.

This whole journey has been a struggle for me and with Medicare involved it’s more difficult. I’m going to call me sleep doctor Monday and ask if a new mask is an option Medicare will approve.

My ResMed Air Curve 10 ASV has no SD card so I don’t know how to track my progress. Thanks for listening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 08:16 AM)DannyG Wrote: [My ResMed Air Curve 10 ASV has no SD card so I don’t know how to track my progress.

Danny - Any SD card 2Gb(which are hard to find now-a-days) or larger can be used.  They can be purchased almost anywhere.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV & dry mouth
(05-13-2017, 08:05 PM)DannyG Wrote: I had to do a second study also, Medicare, sucked! I now have an ASV machine and am learning to use it, first time cpap user. Having real trouble with dry mouth hope this ends soon.

there are many causes for dry mouth not just apnea or these machines 

medicrap definitely sucks
govt has no biz giving people anything
Post Reply Post Reply
I think after studying the SleepHead data from my ASV machine I'm going to have to switch to a mouth covering mask (high leakage numbers). The pressures are to high for me to keep my mouth shut while sleeping. I borrowed a ResMed F10 from my buddy and used it last night, no leakage! I'm looking at the Amara view because I don't like my nose covered. An thought from Amara users?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have one. I am only two nights in - but it seems super comfortable.

The design sitting under the nostrils seems to work really well. 

I expected PAP to be much more uncomfortable frankly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the F10 full mask I borrowed and I'm still waking every couple of hours with a very dry throat! I have the humidity control turned to the max and the water reservoir is nearly empty in the morning, what's up?

I'll try the Amara View mask as soon a FedEx delivers. This is not what I was expecting after waiting so long!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had some issues with dry mouth at first and my DME suggested XyliMelts Discs - they stick to the side of your molars and help with mouth moisture. Package says safe for CPAP users. Available at your local drugstore.
Post Reply Post Reply
My advice is to try a chin strap and use the nasal pillows. I trialed many masks. Invariably, because my mouth insisted on creeping open I would get a super dry mouth and throat using full face masks, even though the treatment was still effective. I switched to the Airfit P10 Nasal Pillows and I use a chinstrap. Waaaaay more comfortable.

Another option for some is a soft cervical collar. Those can have the benefit of keeping the airway aligned as well as prevent you from opening your mouth. I would start with a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 357 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 493 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.